1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend some ceramic P-Bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dougjwray, Mar 6, 2013.

1. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Can anyone name some aftermarket ceramic P-Bass pickups? I'm looking for ceramic because I like SX pickups (don't laugh) for their loudness, raw midrange and fat bottom, and I need something like that for a particular bass. I am NOT looking for sweet, vintage alnico tone! :rolleyes: (I definitely want that in other situations, but not for this bass.)
    Also, speaking of high output, I have tried Quarter Pounders in the past, and they were lacking in mids for me. I want pickups with nasty "honk" here.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!

2. Groovy_Gravy

Groovy_Gravy

Apr 26, 2012
    buy an sx pickup?

3. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    DiMarzio Model P 122. I swear by them, and I have the best taste in everything. No, really, they are great in exactly the way you've described.

4. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    +1

Dimarzio P is what you are describing.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Call your friendly neighborhood G&L dealer, and order an MFD split-coil. It is a monster. The DiMarzio Model P is similar and cheaper, and you won't go wrong there, but I prefer the MFD.

6. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Thanks, everyone!

Groovy G. <--- Good suggestion, but SX pickups rarely seem to show up on Ebay

Diesel <--- Also a good suggestion, and I'll consider these. One thing: a reviewer (on Musicians Friend, I think) said that they can be quite noisy.

Lowbrow & Lefty <--- DiMarzios are great, and I didn't realize they made P pickups with these characteristics. I read a bit about them, and they may be what I want.

Nedmundo <--- I had a 1981 G&L L2000 for awhile, and while the MFDs were loud, they were a bit more refined and smooth than what I'm looking for.

7. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Another vote for the Dimarzio Model P.

8. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    yes the Dimarzio Model P is spectacular. It is a great value and perfect to "wake up" a bass that is a little laid back and woolly.

9. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I put a Dimarzio Billy Sheehan P pickup in one of my basses. Holy Molly it is HOT output... Great mids in my opinion... allows the growl to come through.. plenty of highs too.. not mid scooped in the least

10. abemo

abemo

Feb 27, 2012
    Arvada, co
    Dimarzio, or if you want what you're describing but not dimarzio, schaller, because its basically the same.