Recommend some flats...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pennydreadful, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Okay, I just got a '76 Ibanez Ric 4001 copy, and I really, really like it. It's not quite a Ric, of course, but it's a great bass regardless.

Anyway, I'm thinking I wanna try some flats on it, and I have no idea what kinds to look into, or what will sound the best. I know next to nothing about strings in general, but I am especially clueless when it comes to flats.

2. RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    I'd say Rotosound RS77 flats . . . they sound amazing, definitely a good mix between your basic flatwound thump and roundwound growl. It really depends what sound you want though. If you want a brighter sound, go with RS77s or D'addario Chromes. If you want a really thump-y, "old school" sound, try TI Jazz Flats or maybe the flats that Labella makes.
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Let string tension decide... TIJF's are quite soft. Really a nice string, lot's of harmonic content. If you're getting maxed on the truss, these are a good choice.

Chromes are my choice in a flat. A little higher tension than the TI. Still lot's of harmonic' A really rich sounding string.

If you want the McCartney 'tunable kick-drum, thump 'n bump' sounding bass the Fender Stainless (9020 ?) sounds like it's dead out of the box. Don't laugh! Most folks who use them like their flats better as they get older as they begin to get that 'instant rise, instant decay' thing happening. The Fender is a pretty high-tension string so you gotta have a neck that can stand it...

I haven't tried flats from LaBella or Rotosound or GHS. I've avoided Roto for years as their QC got really spotty back in the 80's. LaBella has never impressed me but there are prople (Jamerson disciples) who swear by them. Again QC was an issue for me. I've not had any QC issue with TI or with D'Addario so I don't tend to stray too far. You know, go with what works until it doesn't, eh ?

I have recently been experimenting with DR Black Beauties but those are coated rounds... so, never say never...