Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend some gothenburg style bands

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Melf, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I'm going out on a limb here and asking for the underground of the underground. There's always a good band or two that only a few people have heard of on the underground metal scene, and I'm trying to find some more gothenburg style bands. The title says it all^

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Wow. I live there and have no idea what you're talking about. I'm so out. :(

3. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Ditto, Oysterman. :)

/lovebown

4. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Taken from www.bnrmetal.com

"In Flames continues to be one of the most recognizable names in in the field of melodic metal (also sometimes referred to as Gothenburg, after the hometown of In Flames and other similar bands), a style they helped pioneer in the mid-nineties on albums such as The Jester Race and Lunar Strain."

Got it now?:)

5. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Hmm. I was hoping for some more obscure ones, I've listened into those 3 a lot...

thanks anyway Smash:)

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    :bassist: The Jester Race is one of my favorite CD's...I think it's In Flames best, at least of what I've heard from them.

You might want to check out this site www.ultimatemetal.com There, you'll find discussion boards about ALOT. It's like the talkbass of the metal scene.

Do you like Amon Amarth? They're different but have some of the same style going on.

8. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Thanks for the link, Schwinn! I have heard of Amon Amarth, but have never checked out any of their music. I will do so now:)

9. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Just thought of another band you might like. Arch Enemy. I don't have any of their stuff yet, but I like 'em.

I'm picking up some more Dark Tranquility and I'm going to take a listen to Soilwork...

10. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Skyfire are very cool.

11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Children of Bodom seems to be what the In Flames guys had been listening around their last album..

12. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Apparently Tuomas of Nightwish has been listening to Children of Bodom while working on the first 9 tracks of their new album. I've never listened to that band though.

Of course, according to the same interview, he's been listening to the soundtrack from "Spirit" as well :D That man loves movie soundtracks!

By the way...for all of you that missed ProgPower IV in Atlanta last weekend...:spit: ;) :D :bassist:

It kicked butt...Nightwish, Rage, Symphony X, Evergrey...great people, awesome venue, and well organized....I'm sad it's over.

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yeah, if you listen to Nightwish the movie soundtrack bit is quite obious :D

Pretty much everything that ends on their albums is rather dramatic music, one might even use the word theatric, but that's pretty why their live shows are great fun.

I don't know how much COB influences on their recordings, though, especially if you compare the latest COB cd to Nightwish's they are quite different. But I think Marco Hietala brought some more classic heavy metal vibe from Tarot(his 'own' long-term band) when he joined Nightwish.

14. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    Wow, I just checked out COB and they are jaw-droppingly good.:eek: Skyfire is next....

15. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

Yeah I think Marco is great for the band. I also liked Sami though, and he was completely different. I liked Sami's sound better, but Marco is way better of a performer.

Just thought I'd say this since I'm still excited...I got to meet everyone in Nightwish last Friday!! They are so cool. I was at the end of the line and they still were cool (though obviously tired). I told Marco I played bass...He said "bass rules!!". Tuomas seemed like the shyest of the group, but I expected that from hearing him talk in interviews. The main thing I said to them was "COME BACK TO THE US!!!!" :D

Sorry to hijack your thread Melf. I must say, in your search for new bands...it will be tough to beat Dark Tranquility!

16. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    No problem Schwinn, you're fine:) I'd say COB comes quite close to matching DT. Honestly. Just check out "Needled 24/7" to start off. Wow:eek: If you haven't heard them yet I think you should try them out. Also I checked out Amon Amarth, they have that viking metal thing going, they're all right but I don't think they're that good.