1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend some Level 42 songs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by EAdanikDG, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Hi everyone, i've been hearing a lot about Level 42 recently and i'm really interested in having a listen to some of their songs, but my internet is really slow (56k modem :bag:), so it takes forever to download songs. Can you recommend any Level 42 songs that are renowned for being really good on Talkbass.

I've downloaded Lessons In Love, and while it's a good catchy song, it's pretty simple. I wanna hear some o' dat Mark King slap. :bassist: :D (or does he only do slap solos?)

Thanks in advance

2. Dune Tune and Mr. Pink come to mind.

3. Love games

4. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    "Love Games" is a classic.

"Mr Pink" and "43" are both instrumentals, cool stuff. As much as I love MK's slap, I really think his finger style technique is brilliant. Check out "Love meeting love" and "The Chinese Way" for example.

I recommend visiting www.level42.com. Lots of CDs and great live DVDs there.

BTW, I saw Level 42 live a couple of days ago. :)

Level_42_ABZ.JPG

5. Devo-lution

Devo-lution

Jun 24, 2009
    starchild, Turn it on, the pursuit of accidents, ... All of them great songs :).

Am I the only one who thinks level 42 isn't the same anymore on a festival? I saw them twice in the last year, once in a great opera hall (great gig) and once outside on a grassy festival. On the outside gig, I had the feeling they lacked the energy to get the crowd going and a lot of people walked away during their set. The songs were still brilliant nonetheless..

6. There's a CD called Level Best -- will be their Greatest Hits.

"Leaving Me Now" is my fav -- no slap.. just thick chord structure.

"Lessons in Love" is probably the most straight forward to learn and one of their top10 sellers.

In reality if you wanted some cool Mark King.. there's some very cool educational clips on youtube.

Hope this helps.

Not sure if one of the above discuss his subdivision of everthing into 16ths and then drumming technique.

7. Dune Tune
    Almost There
    Chinese Way (funny cheesy song and fun to play)

8. When folks ask this -- I also suggest listening to "It's Over"

Both this and "Leaving Me Now"

Give a vibe of the 16th note subdivision and is easy to hear the structure and vibe -- without being clouded by tons of activity.

If you're looking for Video, the Retoglide tour had a very high quality video.. the audio is studio quality.

Hope this helps.

9. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Or better yet, IMO of course, the Live in Holland 2009 DVD.

10. Sonicfrog

Sonicfrog Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Fresno, CA
    How 'bout this!

11. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Also, "Almost There" is killer. So glad it was on this tour's setlist. Check out this live version:

Who said slap tone has to be all trebly and clanky? :)

"A Physical Presence" is a great live recording from the mid '80s, and features a lot of the classics. It is pre the biggest selling hits like "Running in the family", "Something about you" etc. though. Which IMO is a good thing.

12. bass12

bass12 Have you seen my tonsils lately? Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    "Lessons In Love" might be "simple" but try playing it from beginning to end with the necessary attack and see how your forearm feels! :D I'm going to suggest you pick up the live album "A Physical Presence" - that should give you everything you need to get started.

13. bass12

bass12 Have you seen my tonsils lately? Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Please not that the above was posted at 11:42... :p

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021