Recommend some music similar to Bill Laswell's Baselines?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Robot.G, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Robot.G

Robot.G Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2015
    Michigan
    None
    I listened to Bill Laswell's Baselines again today after not hearing it for over 20 years. I didn't realize that it was his debut solo album and that it was released in 1983. I think it's an amazing album and I'm hoping that maybe some of you could recommend similar experimental bass-oriented work. Thanks!

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have this on vinyl...just checked, though, it is available on Amazon Unlimited. So I just listened to track 1 as a refresher.:)
    How about Actual Fiction by Gary Willis?
    Track 1>

Robot.G and ritz like this.
  3. Robot.G

Mar 12, 2015
    Michigan
    None
    Gary Willis is a good recommendation. I'm digging it. Thanks!

4. Robot.G

Mar 12, 2015
    Michigan
    None
    Here's the Baselines full album for anyone unfamiliar...

NoiseNinja and JimK like this.
  5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Since my turntable is living at my mom's...I am considering framing my copy of Baselines.
    :)
    Done.
    IMG_20210418_084439.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    jerry likes this.
  6. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    A bit off topic, but that label Elecktra- Musician released a lot of good stuff back then. Basslines probably started me on my Laswell journey that is now its own shelf of a wide ranging catalog in my music room.

Robot.G likes this.
  7. Robot.G

Mar 12, 2015
    Michigan
    None
    Producer Bill Laswell: “When we did PiL he had put a band together in California of some kids. And I had sort of decided to make a heavy group, so I invited Tony Williams, Ginger Baker, Steve Vai, and all these people came. We fired John's band and there were many nights of really harsh arguing in bars. When the smoke cleared, we made sort of a classic record, an unusual record for the time.”

WG Plum likes this.
  8. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I love Baselines, it's definitely one of my favorite albums of all time. But I think one of the things that makes it such a strong record is that it's not "bass-oriented" per se; while Laswell's electric bass is a prominant voice on most of the tracks, it's rarely the focal point. This is more an idea-oriented album than a bass-oriented album, and Laswell's ideas on Baselines (and also on Material's debut album Memory Serves) are very steeped in both the post-1960s jazz avant-garde, and the downtown NYC post-punk Knitting Factory scene. Equal parts composition, improvisation, and recording studio reconstruction.

So for semi-similar music, I would suggest you check out albums by Henry Threadgill's Very Very Circus, Marc Ribot's Rootless Cosmopolitans, Tim Berne's Caos Totale, Splatter Trio, Watershed 5tet, Ronald Shannon Jackson's Decoding Society, and maybe even (warning: shameless self-promotion) Debris.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
    Robot.G and jerry like this.
  9. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    In the early 80's when I was going through a heavy Laswell phase. I also listened a lot to Jaamaladeen Tacoma, still two of my favorite bassists.

Robot.G, ritz, Bob_Ross and 1 other person like this.
  10. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Curious about you musical project Debris, so links to anywhere where I would be able to listen to some of your tracks for free would be much appreciated?

Bob_Ross likes this.
  11. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    The only place I'm aware of that has any online recordings is the Music & Arts of America label site... here. (But those are all 30-seconds clips, so not especially indicative of what we did.)

I think there are some live performances on youtube, though it's hard to wade through all the other bands called "Debris" to find our stuff.

Edit: Apparently if you Google the names of our albums you can find some Amazon music sites which have full recordings. Not exactly "free" but if you already have an Amazon account...

NoiseNinja likes this.
  12. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I do unfortunately not have an Amazon account, but Spotify might have some of your music as well then, so I will check that out later, and see if they in fact do.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  13. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Laswell used the Material moniker as an umbrella identity for a variety of projects, some experimental, some slick. But before that there was Massacre, with Fred Frith and Fred Maher, dissonant stuff that I prefer...

Going further into psychotic shriek along with Sharrock, Brotzmann and Jackson...

I love forcing that on Kenny G fans.

As far as other bass players, especially part of that nebulous NY scene at the time, Sharrock employed Melvin Gibbs...

Gibbs and Jackson, along with Bill Frisell, were Power Tools...

Musically related, but a little more toward King Crimson territory was Polytown...

But that is just the tip of the Mick Karn iceberg.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  14. Michedelic

I don’t know if you could call Jah Wobble, as a player, ‘experimental’, but I’ve always liked his playing, and he has a long history of interesting collaborations...

Getting back to Czukay, there is the entire Can catalog to consider, they are always cited as an influence...

15. Michedelic

Then there’s always Percy...

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021