1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommend some songs! I need to take it to the next level.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DUBBED, Mar 12, 2008.

1. DUBBED

DUBBED

Feb 19, 2008
    Okay here's the deal. I've been playing bass for about 8 months now and I've hit my first major plateau. I find the songs I have been playing are not helping me improve. I'm trying to find new ways to play them ie. paying more attention to locking in with the drums, but I feel like I'm not making progress technically. And it seems like all of the songs I desire to play require a level of talent that is currently unavailable to me, ie Marvin Gaye - What's Goin On.

To give an idea, here's some of the songs I've learnt to play:
    - RATM - Bombtrack, Know your enemy
    - Chili Peppers - Wet Sand, Dani California, Hard to Concentrate, Chorus of Tell me Baby
    - Jimi Hendrix - Fire, Hey Joe
    - Stevie Wonder - Sir Duke, Master Blaster

I may not be able to play them all flawlessly but I've got the major parts of those songs down pat.

Now, I'd like to get back into my lessons with a new song in mind. I'm looking for something with a pretty active bassline, and to put it simply, just a fat ass groove. I'm open to anything.

2. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck

Sep 19, 2006
    Plainfield Illinois
    Anything by Tool will be challenging and fun playing. It works for me.

3. Wasim

Wasim

Dec 10, 2004
    Try learning some stuff by the Beatles

To start with, the bass parts on the Abbey Road album in particular aren't that hard technically but they will improve you as a musician.

Paul McCartney's style is like James Jamerson Light, so it's a useful step up toward the Motown stuff like What's Going On.

4. I would recommend the book "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". It has many of the great Jamerson's lines notated (no devil-tabs) and played by some truly great bass players. It has stuff that is pretty simple for starting out with, and you can, of course, work your way all the way up to the hard stuff (What's Going On is in there, one that I just finished is Darling Dear, which is another chop-buster). Also, it's undeniably fun to play those lines!

5. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle

You're not ready to "take it to the next level" if you think that getting this list of songs close enough is good. If you have the major parts down pat but suck at the minor parts then I think you know what you need to work on. "Almost" only counts in horseshoes. In music it means you haven't learned it yet.

6. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Dubbed-san, once you master Rush's "YYZ," your training will be complete. In the meantime, how about some Zep'?

7. DUBBED

DUBBED

Feb 19, 2008
    I agree. I guess I should have seen a post like this coming, if you read between the lines of my original post, you might deduce that although I keep practicing these songs (to infact be able to play them flawlessly, some of them I can), I feel like I'm not getting better technically.

Of course, in practicing those songs I'm definately becomming a better musician, learning to lock in with drums, coming up with my own fills, improving stamina etc. How you considered that learning more technically difficult songs may improve my ability to understand and be proficient with the less difficult songs?

However, thank you for your post and typing your epinion.

8. I'd agree with the Tool stuff,...

considering how hard it is to pick out the bass parts sometimes you can goto www.tooltabs.net and download a zip file of tabs :) compiled over the years by many fanboys that have viewed live performances with binoculars even!

getting a Tool song down pat should help you with locking in with drums and getting a sense of rhythm... and learning to play uneven rhythms!

9. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    as you like chilis why dont you learn:-

Californication, few hammer ons and pull offs which are fun,
    Soul to squeeze, My favorite, just about a bit of everything which took me a long while to master.

or try some guns and roses??

Day tripper - The Beatles,

Bomb track intro is really good by RATM, play it slow and speed it up.

If you wanna learn complex bass lines id suggest downloading Guitar Pro and getting the "tabs" from Ultimate-Guitar.com or other sites like that. It really helped me progress from standard Tabs. I wont even look at a tab now unless its a guitar pro one. for a start 99% of tabs are wrong or just tell you part of a song, dont tell you the little changes, and doesnt show you the speed.
    Learn Sheet music and/or get Guitar Pro.

10. DUBBED

DUBBED

Feb 19, 2008
    Thanks for the replies y'all! I'm going to look into some Beatles stuff/that Tool tabs site is dope!

11. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    try to learn My Guitar Wants to Kill your Momma by Frank Zappa. Awkward tune.

12. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    Oh yeah you already said bomb track :meh: my bad.

why not try some Slayer!!
    nahh im joking, its terrible, which is hard to say coming from a massive slayer fan. Saying that my 2nd fav band is the doors and they dont have a bassist (had a stand in bassist for a few songs though like peace frog)

why did I start playing bass again?? I forget. :help:

Ever tried some Metalica??
    Enter Sandman or Seek and Destroy?

If your really strugling to find something that will test you, go on you tube and type in "YYZ bass" and watch someone play that. or type in "flight of the bumble bee bass" the last one is emense!:bassist:

13. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    practice some scales, and Arpeggios.
    Learn some Exercises!

But if you'd rather learn songs that are hard difficult at 8 months. I would say don't learn the beatles.

Those song you are playing are pretty easy.
    This RATM song might be fun for oyu to learn

Not saying you're bad or anything, it's just if you're focusing on technical skill you gotta step it up better man.

14. ste30

ste30

Apr 18, 2006
    Try some Zeppelin, and some Smiths
    You might not like the Smiths music, but some of the basslines are cool as fk to play on their own.
    And Zep - speaks for itself!

15. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Stone Roses

16. Jobiebass

Jobiebass

Feb 25, 2008
    +1
    the second song i learnt was "I wanna be adored" and I still play that song at least once a week when im just rolling through songs I like playing.

17. eddiebo

eddiebo Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2002
    Montclair, NJ
    why not try picking out and playing the melody lines from those Stevie Wonder songs on your bass - there is plenty left to explore! Especially with Sir Duke and Master Blaster - and also picking out Stevie's left-hand bass parts - you can endlessly dissect and mine those tunes they are so rich with amazing parts - try it out

18. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    The truth is, you can learn all the songs in the world and it won't get you to the next level. Learning songs is good for developing a catalogue of ideas and it can be fun, but learning songs alone won't make you on par with the musicians who wrote and played those songs originally. The only way to do that is to learn some relative theory and technique and apply it.