1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend some strings for bowing, pizz, latin, tango?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by zeytoun, Apr 25, 2017.

1. zeytoun

zeytoun

Dec 19, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Hey guys. It's been a while since I've been on here.

I recently got a great deal on a nice 14-year-old Eastman hybrid bass ($900 with case, stand, two bows, tuner) and started taking classical lessons. Bass has old Spiro's (they're not too twangy, because they're probably a decade old) and is nice and loud. I don't hate the tone. But... I'm curious what you would suggest for strings, considering I'll be doing more bow work.

-I will be playing a mix of pizz and arco--maybe 50/50
    -Genres: tango, latin, some classical and some jazz and rock and roll.
    -For pizz, I mostly I like a thick, pillowy vintage sound
    -I used to play EP Weichs and liked them pretty good on my EUB, but I was never super happy with the arco tone (though much of that could be because it was an EUB and my arco was all self-taught)
    -I'm curious about a mixed set with bow-friendly plain guts for the G and D

Any ideas?

2. John Chambliss

John Chambliss Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I would keep the Spiro's for now and concentrate on the arco and decide whether you need to upgrade to a better bow.

John

3. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I play 50-50 pizzz-arco also and I'm very happy with my EP Weichs. Right now, I have a Stark E but it's not a big improvement on my bass, IMO.

4. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I've decided EP weich are the best hybrid for me. Spirocores are the best "pizz and arco in the practice room/at the end of ballads"

Steve Boisen likes this.
  5. Decade old Spiros are not that bad for bowing and should work for all what the OP wants to play. And to learn how to bow a less forgiving string is easier to hear and correct as a very forgiving bowing string.
    The EP Weich might be a bit too soft for some of the styles, I think the Spiro might be better (and of course there are other styles the OP mentioned where the EZp Weich would be better). But I think the Old Spiro is the best compromise and is cheap, even if he wants to replace them with another used Spiro set in about a decade.

In case the OP might get blisters when playing with Spiros that would be a good reason to change to EP Weich or some similar synthetic core string (I prefer Innovation Braided over EP Weich).