Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommend some strings for me...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BryLMoo, Jun 30, 2004.

1. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm playing a MIM fretless fender jazz bass, and I'm not really into the feel of these 'flat wound' strings. They just have this smooth feeling that I'm not too fond of. I know if I use rounds, it will eat up the neck, but i just gotta try something different.

Any help would be appreciated, as I've only been playing bass for 3 years, and I consider myself still pretty new at the instrument.

2. You might want to try Elixirs (Coated) or Ground Round Wound strings. The new Thomastik Infeld IN-344's are also supposed to be easier on the fretboard and have a nice mellow sound.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    How long of a try did you give the flats? It took me a few days to get used to them, but I can see how it might take a little longer for some.

4. You might consider trying the Halfrounds, thay are a combination roundwound, flatwound string. Easier on the neck and brighter then most flats.

D'Addario, GHS Brite Flats, Dean Markley Ground Roundwound, Status Halfwound are a few companies with these strings out on the market.

Question, how long have you been using flats? What brand?

Have you tried TI Jazz Flats, they are much brighter than any other flatwound string on the market, IMHO!

Jazz Flats

Price List & Ordering Info

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. BryLMoo

BryLMoo

Mar 25, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    i've been playing with them for...not long at all....like, a year at the most. i just was wondering if there was another kind of string that might be 'brighter' sounding that wasn't as hard on the fretboard.

thanks for the advice. i'll try the halfrounds and see what i think. =)

bryan

6. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Something else to consider would be compression, or inverse, wound strings. They're somewhere between ground wounds and rounds. Some examples are:

SIT Silencers
    Smith Compressors
    Rotosound Solo Bass
    Alembic CX-3

Tom