1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

recommend some strings, im wet behind the ears

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jamestown94west, Jul 20, 2012.

1. im putting together a parts jazz. its 4 string. i tune to standard A440. the bass has active EMG's in it. im new to the world of strings, and im wanting to try something that isnt a stainless round wound. im not entirely sure i want to go with flats, but im interested in a more thumpy sound. ive never used EMG's before, and i wont get to hear this bass until i buy some strings for it. i will mostly be using this bass for cover songs, top 40/pop, lots of dave matthews, little bit of rhcp, porcupine tree, classic rock, 50s-60s stuff too. i use a behringer 1x15 combo, an ampeg ba115hp combo, or an svt3 pro head into an ampeg svt 8x10.

im thinking maybe chromes, or someone suggested labellas to me and i thought i might try em. i really hesitate to spend more than $30 on strings though.

would tape wounds work? i like those on my fretless.

im also thinking about pressure wounds, i have some GHS pressure wounds on a squier cv 50s p and i love them.

2. Start by getting an account with Bassstringsonline.com. Tell them you are a TB member and you will get an additional discount.
    Other than that, I cant help you. I only play Steel strings

3. I had forgotten about them. I believe I'm already registered there, ill check it out. Thanks!!

4. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Definitely Bass Strings Online...and they are having a 5% off sale today!

As far as the strings...sounds like you might like GHS Pressurewounds. Not zingy like rounds, not dead like flats.

5. If it's a Jazz Bass then +1 on the Pressure Wounds. Best strings I've ever had on a Jazz in over 35 years of playing.

Oh and dry those ears too before you plug in. Could be a shock hazard. ;) :bag:

6. Just get some nickel rounds. Flats will be too weird for you. Dunlops are high quality and cheap.

7. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  8. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Get some nickel rounds and roll back your tone.

9. I like d'addario nickel rounds a lot. That might be the way I go. I think its gonna come down to those and pressure wounds.

10. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    I've used D'Addario nickel rounds for 20+ years. IMO they are easily the best value, without compromising tone.

11. Boy you ain't kiddin. I used to run those strings on a stock Jay Turser 50s p copy, and I always got tickled after gigs when I'd get compliments on my tone and get asked about my bass.

12. kesh

kesh

Jul 9, 2012
    Brighton, England
    chromes are a good first flats, as they sound quite roundish. just don't get the EB80s, too light.

13. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Nickel roundwounds. Daddario exl , Rotosound swing66 nickel, & Dr neon are some nice ones to start.

14. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    EMGs are pretty bright sounding pickups. They have plenty of bottom but you can't really avoid that open top end. Your average nickel roundwound is going to be very bright at first, especially the D'Addario, so you'll really have to give them time to mellow out before you make your final judgement.

As far as nickel roundwounds I think Foderas are my favorite for sound but DR Sunbeams or Ken Smith Burners are the best feeling. If you're going to look at pressurewounds I would also recommend the Dean Markley Helix strings. They have amazing feel and a pronounced midrange growl you might really like.

15. mmbongo

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You might want to rethink that, based on your first post.

D'Addario XL's are the polar opposite of what you said you wanted. Warm, thumpy, punchy? D'Addario XL's are not these things.

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I like newtonestrings.

<http://www.newtonestrings.com/>

17. They sound good on my single coil p bass, but I have no experience with EMG's so that's why I'm asking here.

I realized earlier today that I have a brand new set of DR black beauties at home. I could use those, but I'm not crazy about the way black strings would look on this bass.

Someone mentioned the dragon skin DRs earlier, would those work well?

18. It was DR neons that were suggested. I've wanted to try those.

When I say thumpy, I don't mean I'm trying to cop a Jamerson tone, I'm just wanting some strings that lend themselves to that kind of sound. Mostly just so I can try something different.

Whatever I buy has to stay on the bass for awhile, so I'm trying to inform myself as much as possible before plunking down the cash.

19. Metania

Metania

Oct 15, 2011
    Denmark
    I hate food!
    Rotosound Nexus, whatever your gauge. Gives you a full bottom, nice attack, and they last forever. They are fantastic for fretless too...

20. JWP

JWP

Aug 19, 2012
    Dd chromes might get you what you are looking for. Love the sound on my fender jazz...