Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommend to me a 5 string fretless!! (400-600$)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by osciphex, Jan 20, 2006.

1. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    I've made a couple of posts very similar to this one a long time ago, but each time I get completely different answers and learn about other basses I hadn't considered. At long last I'm finally thinking about buying my first fretless: can someone recommend an excellent 5 string fretless bass in the 4-6 hundred dollar price range (prefferably not higher)? Thanks!

2. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    if it is a new bass you seek then the MTD kingston is probably a good place to start in your price range. pretty nice instruments for the price point.

3. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

I have never played the Kingston but I have heard many excellent personal reviews and strong recommendations for it.

Everyone I've spoken to says it's an outstanding instrument in its price range.

4. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    used Carvin LB75F. you can even snatch them up on ebay for pretty good prices, i got mine here at talkbass.

5. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I think Warwick makes a bolt on fretless Corvette (sorry, I am not a Warwick head so I don't know their basses too well). I tried one out at GC (it was a four string) and it was actually very cool for that kind of money. They probably have a 5 string version of it. It was pretty no frills...bolt on, tywo J pickups, not fret lines, but it sounded good and played nicely.

6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I used to have Dean Edge 5 fretless that was around $400. It was and is an exceptional instrument. Highly recommended. Look to see what Peavey offers in this price range.

7. BillytheBassist

BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    Texas
    I second the dean... great basses for the price.

8. osciphex

osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    People tend to recommend the kingston a lot, and that was what I had been leaning toward. The only issue with that is that I haven't seen a guitar store near here that carries MTD; I would need to order one online necessitating an enormous ammount of pre-purchase researching... which I'm ok with. I just hope online bass retailers have return policies just in case...

I tried playing the Carvin LB75F once at a guitar shop and was very surprised/impressed with how comfortable the neck was and how even the tones were. (despite the body style being ugly IMO) However, I don't know here I'd get one used. Also, I'm not sure if they make them with lined fingerboards, which is something I'd want.

As for the Dean... I've tried a few fretted models and wasn't really thrilled. Admittedly though, I've never played a fretless one.

9. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i agree with you about the Carvin LB75 necks. i'm not so much a fan of the 4 string necks, for some reason, but the 5ers fit so nicely. look on ebay. like right now. type Carvin bass into the search box. i just checked an hour ago and they have a couple lined fretless basses.

and if you don't believe me about lined fretless look at mine:
    [​IMG]

i just bought it off talkbass. i don't think there are any on the forum for sale now, but if you wait i'm sure they will pop up.

10. Great instruments.