1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommend trio funk/fusion type stuff

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bardolph, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    My high school alumni variety show is coming up and my two friends and I want to play a jazz tune, preferably something a little out there. Just for reference, the drummer is really good and can basically play in any style, I would call myself a pretty solid electric bassist, and the guitarist is fairly good (monster trombonist, recently picked up guitar but is learning unbelievably fast). What's some cool instrumental bass/drums/guitar trio stuff out there?

2. bill_banwell

bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Niacin! :D

Great jazz fusion stuff, Billy sheehan on bass and Dennis Chambers on drums, although they have a keyboardist instead of a guitarist, still good stuff though!

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jazz tunes played by an electric trio...

Off the top of my head-
    Andy Summers-The Last dance Of Mr. X...Summers w/ Greg Bissonette & Tony Levin doing Classic Jazz tunes like "Footprints", "Afro Blue", etc.

Steve Khan-Crossings, Headline, & Let's Call This...the electric portion of these fine albums has Khan w/ Anthony Jackson & Dennis Chambers doing various Miles, Wayne Shorter, etc Classics.

How 'far out' you go is only up to you guys.

4. Yes, if you want to go incredibly "far out," check out the Massacre album reviewed yesterday on Pitchfork. Another possibility is the first Arcana album. Neither is for the faint of heart. :D

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    C'mon, Pete!

;)

6. *snicker* I'm horrible.

A more "inside" suggestion: anything from Pat Metheny's Bright Size Life album. The title track, "Missouri Uncompromised," and "Omaha Celebration" are all high-quality pieces of modern jazz that completely avoid "skronk" while remaining musically interesting.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have the 1st Arcana album with Tony, Laswell, & Derek Bailey...Bailey just recently died(in case you didn't know).

I have a Massacre album from Zorn's 50th Birthday series...with Laswell & Hamid Drake. Insanity!
    Haven't heard, I assume, this 'new' one.

8. Nah, actually, the album reviewed is the the only "real" Massacre album with Frith, Laswell, and Maher. Like I said...not for the faint of heart.

I'd heard about Bailey's death. He certainly had a fulfilling career!

John Zorn is 50...damn.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dammit, went to the head & couldn't back before you, Pete...
    I'm thinking of Painkiller with Zorn/Laswell/Drake & not Massacre, obviously Frith, Laswell, & Maher.

Check out the Painkiller disc I mentioned above!

**Punchin' In**
    The Masscre disc you're talking about is Killing Time...I just picked that up for myself last Xmas!
    ;)

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Well since we are talking about a little out there, you could always have you guitar player pick the trombone back up and cop some of the power trio stuff Jaco did with Albert Mangelsdorff and Alphonse Mouzon.;)

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Wayne Krantz 3et
    Bruce Bartlett 3et
    Living Daylights
    MegaPhone Man
    Kazumi Watanabe and New Electric Trio
    Hiromi 3et
    The Slip
    Squat
    Yonrico Scott Trio

12. return to forever
    pat metheny
    jeff beck
    jean luc-ponty

i know they all have keys players, but you can find jams where the keys is just chording and stuff.

13. why not try some martin, medesiki, wood stuff? the guitarist can play the keyboard parts.

14. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Medeski, Martin and Wood. I think it could be cool if you did something from their work with Scofield (A Go Go) as a trio.