1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recommendation for a 2 channel amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by p-time bass guy, May 14, 2011.

1. p-time bass guy

p-time bass guy

Jun 28, 2007
    Phila, PA
    I have a RIC and a stereo cord. Currently playing in a 3 singer sometimes no drum type setting. I liked the sound of my bass coming out of one amp and some effect, chorus or whatever, coming out of the other amp. Rather than hauling 2 heads and 2 cabs, i thought of buying a 2 channel head.
    ANY SUGGESTIONS? 500 watts at 4ohms, 250 at 8ohms is fine.
    Has anyone ever done this?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You'd still need a 2nd cab, and the head would need to be stereo, not just 2 channels, but there's plenty of amps that run stereo. Carrying a 2nd cab will be the pia.

3. why not have a stereo cab built? and then use a two channel power amp to power them.

4. Some tube heads have channels with separate inputs that can be run simultaneously to one cab.

5. p-time bass guy

p-time bass guy

Jun 28, 2007
    Phila, PA
    i tried a small Peavey keyboard amp. it had two channels. my stereo cord into each channel. it worked fine. it was a combo amp, but only one speaker.
    i assume any 2 channel head would do the same hooked up to my cab? am i wrong?
    whats different between a stereo head and a 2 channel head?

6. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    Generally when one talks about a 2 channel head they are talking about a head that basically has 2 preamps and one power amp. A stereo head has 2 or each.

It sounds like you want stereo because you want two different sounds at the same time - basically as though you were playing through 2 different rigs at the same time.

-JV

7. p-time bass guy

p-time bass guy

Jun 28, 2007
    Phila, PA
    will a stereo amp have two inputs ?? the stereo chord has a bridge and neck PU jack.

8. p-time bass guy

p-time bass guy

Jun 28, 2007
    Phila, PA
    will a stereo amp have two inputs ?? the stereo chord has a bridge and neck PU jack.
    DID i buy the wrong chord. The stereo chord i am talking about has one jack plugged into the bass and two to plug into two amps ... or i thought 2 channels of one amp??
    i am getting confused

9. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Find a Walter Woods stereo amp; that has two identical but independent preamps with two power amps in the same chassis. You can run it stereo or blend the preamps into one or both of the power amps depending on the particular needs. The other option would be a rack setup with either a pair of mono preamps or something like an Alembic F-2B, and a stereo power amp.

10. blastjv

blastjv

Jan 8, 2010
    Philly Area
    No offense, dude, but I think you have some reading to do...start with your ric's manual. I think you're putting the cart before the horse here.

-JV

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Low frequency sounds are omni directional
    You might consider a bass amp for the lows, and then a small stereo acoustic for the higher frequencies - where it matters.

Fender actually makes a stereo acoustic amp "Acoustasonic" with a very wide stereo sound field. This and a sub would make a great combination for small to medium club. Anything bigger go FOH.

12. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    Jeff Scott has the right idea. Get a stereo Walter Woods. I own two of them and have been using one for years and it will work fine for your application. Also, I may have one for sale in a few weeks. Keep an eye of the TB classifieds

13. Just get an SVT. Neck to channel 1, bridge to channel 2. Or whichever.