1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommendation for a higher end fretless "Jazz" with coated board

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by moon-bass, Feb 14, 2020 at 2:47 PM.

1. moon-bass

moon-bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2004
    USA, New Orleans
    So I sold (and am selling) a bunch of gear that no longer brings me joy (thanks Marie Kondo!!!) and I will soon be in the market for a new bass. I've been a Jazz Bass player or a long time, and as much as i have tried other masses I think I will always be a J bass guy. I'm looking for a new (or used) four string higher end Jazz clone fretless bass with a poly/epoxy/etc. coated board. i don't want to do anything aftermarket (i.e. HG Thor) or have someone pull the frets off, I want it directly from the builder already fretless and coated.

I've googled of course, but looking for reviews from people that have owned the basses as opposed to just what's on websites.

Looking to spend between $2-$3K. I love my Sadowsky basses, but don't want to spend (and wait) for a NYC model. Not looking for an insane wood top - solid colors or transparent something over a nice wood grain is fine. Ideally, looking for something that cops a nice pre-CBS Jazz bass feel, with a nice thin neck and 60's spacing on the pups.

I've looked at Moollon, Altelier Z ... any others I should be looking at? I saw a Crews Maniac Sound that looked pretty good as well.

TIA!