Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommendation for a powered mixer

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Yahama 5000

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Mackie 808

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. Other (specify)

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Well, the band is picking up steam, and we are looking to invest in some PA gear. I was thinking about buying a powered mixer, around 1000 watts. The choice is narrowed down to a Yamaha 5000 and a Mackie 808. What do you think?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Just faced the same issue. We ended up with the Yamaha, 2 Yamaha 15" mains, and 4 16 ohm Fender monitors.

The Mackie will drive a 2 ohm load, but I liked layout of the Yamaha better. We've only used it one show but it is a very nice unit.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Look at the Yorkville, Peavey, and Allen and Heath powered mixers. The Mackie's graphic EQ is really sketchy, IMO. No experience with the Yamaha, sorry. I'd go with separates anyway, personally.

4. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Sorry to go thread hi-jacking, but why not get a non power mixer and get the amps?

5. I have a Behringer powered mixer, one of the newer models. It is extremely noisy: hisses like crazy. It can be tamed with the parametric eq. But it's very cheap to buy. You get what ya pay for!

6. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I had always used seperate components in the past. The Yamaha had a good price for components that we knew we would need, while still having plenty of patch points for growth. It's easy to carry, setup, and use. This current band is not likely to ever outgrow it; bars around here just don't get that big.

It's really the same logic as having a combo amp; it's just convenient and sometimes the sacrifices are pretty minimal.

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have used the 808m for the last three years in bars, clubs and practice. Works great and no problems.

8. Pete

Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Powered mixers are a means to an end, once you buy one the only way to upgrade your system is to sell it. Most powered mixers will get you mains and one monitor mix. What happens if you need two or three? Then buy another power amp and lug the powered head AND an amp rack. And what about subs? Most pm's don't have crossovers and near enough power to drive subs.

Buy a mixer (A&H MixWiz 16:2) and two amps. Those two amps will give you 3 monitor mixes and 1 FOH (mono) mix. Want subs? 2 monitor mixes and subs/tops. Get some RMX 1450's or one 1450 and a 2450 and you'll have room to grow with the system. Plus the A&H mixer has WAY better features than any pm's gonna have. A couple dual 31 band EQ's will round out the PA and you're set. The EQ on any pm is awful and shouldn't be use at all. IMHO

pete

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

The Mix Wiz is cool, I used to own one. The new A&H powered mixers have 4 band semi-parametric EQ on the outputs, which might actually work. Also, the boards are "desks" not "boxes". Looks to me like you'd end up with two (500 W) powered monitor mixes, and use an outboard FOH amp for bigger gigs. Not a bad solution. The mixer section looks suspiciously like a Mix Wiz, but with a few less features. The digital powered mixer (Icon) looks great for a smaller band.

10. We have an 808M and it works great for simple setups. It's nice to only have to grab one box and two speakers & stands for a small gig. Prior to that, for a small gig I had to carry a Mackie 1402, a power amp, eq and reverb in separate rack cases.

For more complex setups, it's better to have separates, but then you need to have the right cabling and it's more humbug to carry and set up and operate.

Ultimately it's best to have access to both types of setups and mix and match as needed.

The Mackie 808s are a great starting point and quite bulletproof.

Aloha,

Jonathan

11. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    The Yamaha is a 4 bus mixer.

12. bassplayer347

bassplayer347 Guest

Dec 24, 2003
    Kansas
  13. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Bought the Yamaha from AMS. Got it shipped overnight for free :hyper:
    Sounds good with my laptop in the aux port. Will have to wait till practice Sun for the test drive since all my other PA gear is at the Kbd players house.

14. I've got the 12 channel Carvin Powered mixer. Quiet, effects, don't know how much power they offer now though, mine is about 6 yrs old and it put out 250 watts per channel into 4 ohms. I ended up using the mixers amps for monitors and using power amps for the rest. I later got a Mackie 20 channel non-powered mixer. It had more bells and whistles but it really didn't sound any better than the Carvin.
    http://www.carvin.com/mixers/pagroup.html

15. I completely agree with Johnathan Starr. Right on the monay.

16. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Yorkville pretty much invented the powered mixer. They have been doing it longer and IMHO better than anybody else. Depending on budget I would either look at the AP818 or the PM16