Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommendation for an amp head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SonofDadBass, Sep 19, 2005.

1. SonofDadBass

SonofDadBass

Sep 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    With GK 410 (400 watt) and GK115 (200 watt) cabs what would be a suitable amp head with enough power to play with a guitarist using a 100watt half stack?

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

D

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    GK1001 would fit the bill just right, and look good too.

-Mike

3. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    +1. 100watt Marshall stack will be crushed! ;)

4. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Let not jump the gun here. Some questions:

What kind of music do you play?

What's your budget?

What kind of tone are you looking for (bright and aggressive or warm and melow, etc)?

Will you have regular PA support or no?

5. GK's the best!

6. Quadzilla

If you say so... :p :D ;)

7. Zharlon

Zharlon From Ice Station Zebra....to Deep Charch 9

Apr 19, 2003
    Northwest U.S.A.
    If your open to suggestions.....

Many folks seem to enjoy the Aggy 750, and I think it would fit your needs(though you left out any possible budget constraints)....

I just happend to pick one up for myself, from a fine TB'er and it is one heck of a fine peice of juicy equipment( It's replacing a GK that I loved very much, but needed more power)

8. SonofDadBass

SonofDadBass

Sep 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I play a 1970s Univox P Copy. I play rock similar in sound to Weezer. I almost never play with a pick. We typically play venues where I am patched into the sound board either direct or by mic (I've played out with a 60w Fender combo) but more frequently there are shows with either no PA or a relatively weak one. I am looking to spend no more than $700 if that's possible.

Thanks,
    D

9. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    GK1001RBII would be a great head for what you are looking to do. $600 brand new.

10. +1

11. SonofDadBass

SonofDadBass

Sep 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Cool, thanks for the advice, on my list of considerations were both the 700rb or the 1001rb.

Questions:

Is 700w too much for those cabs? (Sorry if this is a dumb question, I am kinda new to this)

And then, where would the best place to buy either of those heads?

D

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Question #1....nope, you'll be just fine.

Question #2....Google the name of the amp, and you'll see.

-Mike

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Aww come on. I've decided to just start answering the questions they directly ask. If someone doesn't want to be thorough, then they will get a variety of answers. I'm going to be like Tom from Office Space, and jump to conclusions. :D

-Mike

14. Quadzilla

Yeah but I'm want to be more like "the Bobs" and ask all the proper questions.. :D ;) :p