1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommendation for Fender Dlx 5 JBass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by steveb98, Apr 22, 2006.

1. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I recently tried a set of DR Marcus Miller's on my Fender Dlx 5 JBass and the B string is so flabby in tension and tone I can't stand playing the bass. The other strings are fine, tight and sound good. The Fender is a 34" scale so that is probably part of the issue.

Wonder what you all have tried and like on Fender 5 strings?

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    The one you have probably lacks a B string retainer. I highly recommend getting Sadowsky steels. Nickels will probably do the trick too. BUT it will open up your B string so much and make it solid.

-Matt

3. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    It does have two string retainers that between them hold down all five strings. I always wanted to try the Sadowsky strings so this give me a good reason too.

Thanks.

4. jrex

jrex

Jun 17, 2005
    SouthEastern Wi.
    Have you tried Fender's strings I think there the 8250's with the taper'd B and E strings. They usually shipp stock on a new Fender. I have them on my Custom Shop Bass and like them, although I havn't tried anything else on this bass.

5. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Will Lee signatures fit (just barely through the body) and sound awesome.

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Weird. I thought the new ones with the extra string retainers didn't have that B string problem.. O hwell

7. chilliwilli

chilliwilli

Aug 17, 2005
    If the fatbeams were to flabby id try DR Lo riders. they fir through body too

When i had a fender dlx 5 i found the Hi beams to flabby and they are similar tension to fatbeams, so ic an see your point.