Recommendation for hybrid or carved bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by SBD, Jan 2, 2006.

1. SBD

Jan 1, 2006
    Since the handle on my cloth case broke on the way into my gig last Friday, and my low end Chinese-made bass rolled down one stair and into a big mud puddle, I've decided its time to upgrade not only my case but my bass. (A seam popped loose in the process as well...) I play mainly bluegrass/country however I plan to play more jazz in the near future. I enjoyed banging up this bass while on the road but now I THINK I want a hybrid. I want to spend under $5,000. Any recommendations on what brands/models to at least start researching? Am I crazy to rule out fully carved basses at this price point?
  2. Ike Harris

Ike Harris

May 16, 2001
    Nashville TN
    Check out Humberto's post right next to yours and you'll see the #1 hybrid out there. It's a little above 5k but you will be glad you went the extra scratch when you see and play one. The finish alone is enough to make you drool. The NS is a little on the large side but that translates into a large sound and the carved top gives you that extra edge that will allow you to cut through for a nice jazz tone. (I should get a cut from Arnold for my ad - I don't even own one)

3. SBD

Jan 1, 2006
    Thanks a ton...I will check it out.
  4. Humberto

Humberto Supporting Member

I'd endorse the Cleveland as well, obviously, but you can still get a decent bass for 5k any way you go.

I sold a fully carved Strunal - model #5/6 - to buy the Cleveland. You can find these in the 4 to 5k range. The Strunal is heavier, not as much attention to detail, and doesn't have all the other little things you get with a New Standard, but it still sings and has nice tone.

I've also owned a Strunal hybrid that had a sweet voice, but sold that to buy the carved Strunal. Having said all this, the bottom line will be when the bass says, "take me home" and you won't care if it's ply, hy, or carved.

I know there are a couple of other Cleveland owners who play bluegrass on this forum - it seems to work for them, maybe they'll chime in.

Think about spending the extra $$ for the Cleveland - six months from now you won't remember or care.

Hope this helps.
  5. JonnyY

Dec 28, 2005
    i have a stentor student and it sounds great. it costed me about $2000 canadian. the price makes it seem cheap but it sounds amazing. They have other higher end models too that are probably in your price range. Here's their site:

Happy Hunting