Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommendation for replacement speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mark means rock, Sep 3, 2005.

1. mark means rock

mark means rock

Sep 3, 2005
    Howdy: I shredded one of my 10-inch speakers in my SWR 4x10 cab. Ouch... I checked around at different replacement options, including off-the-shelf replacement woofers from Eminence (which makes the OEM speakers for SWR to their custom specs). Problem is that the specs on the Eminence site don't all seem to match up neatly with what's posted on SWR's site.

I'd go ahead and get the Eminence replacement but I'm worried that things may get funky (in a bad way) if the speakers aren't all nicely matched like they used to be ...

Anybody have any advice? Am I just being paranoid??

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Are there driver specs on the SWR site? I couldn't find them. I did see the claim that the Goliath 4x10 has 105dB sensitivity and an f3 at 40Hz, and if that's true Eminence didn't make it, and I want to know who did, because no tens made on this planet have that capability. Anyway, post a picture of it, someone will be able to tell what it is.

3. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Like I said, there are no specs on that site. Watts and bogus SPL claims are all I see. What you need at the minimum is the fs, Qts, and Vas. Qes, Qms amd xmax would also be helpful. The likelyhood of getting that from SWR is slim, chances are they don't even know themselves. Take a picture of the blown driver, rear and side view, and we can figure out what it is. What I can guarantee is that the stock speaker is not a Kappa Pro Ten. If it was the cab would be rated 2,000 watts, not 400.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You're not paranoid at all. In fact you've done the right thing to ask the question rather than jump in boots and all and hope for the best.

Get the shreded driver re-coned, or buy a new one from SWR. Mixing different speakers which share a common cabinet is never a good idea, especially when you don't know th T/S parameters of the existing drivers.

If you're going to try your luck with a stock Eminence, please be aware you will have to replace all 4. Suddenly the stock speaker is looking like the cheaper option isn't it?

5. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Considering the paltry 100w rating of the stock speaker I'm not so sure that the better route might not be replacing all four of them w/Betas. I'd still be interested in seeing a picture of what's in there. I wouldn't be surprised if it's an Alpha.