Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommendation for school amp please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthias, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Ampeg BA 115

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Ashdown Electric Blue-15

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. Gallien-Krueger Backline 250/115

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Hartke Kickback 12

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  5. SWR Workingman‘s 12

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  6. Warwick Sweet 15

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    One of my band-mates is music teacher in a high school and is allowed to spend up to 700 € (=$) for a new combo amp (100-150W, 12" or 15" speaker).

I ended up with the above list of combos which seem to be worth looking at, personally I would prefer the Warwick Sweet 15 or the SWR Workingman's 12.
    The G-K looks good too and I love my G-K MB150, but I'm not sure if the Backline series is any good.

BTW I will be playing this amp too, as we are rehearsing at school (Right now I bring with me my MB150 w/ extension cab). As the SWR is the only combo which allows to add an extension cab, it would maybe be the best choice?

What do you think?

Matthias

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    One of my friends has Sweet 15, I played through it few songs one summer night and it's as the name says, sweet. Plus, they're on sale now, you can buy one for under €500.

3. TWISTED

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    I say SWR. I guess I'm biased because my SM-400 has lasted 11 years now and no problems. And the working man series are all solid state so they should be reliable. But seriously if a combo amp can't support an extension cab I would never buy it unless it was just a little bedroom amp.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I voted for the SWR 'cos I used to have one, and the extension cab could be a good deal. I certainly found it pretty durable.

One thing which would be worth considering with a school amp is how long the speaker will last at full volume. You can be sure that someone's going to turn it up full. I recently played a Peavey combo (TKO115? ... can't remember for sure) which didn't sound distorted even when pushed to the max.

I wonder if that was a deliberately engineered feature, setting the controls so that you couldn't overload it? If so, it might be worth adding to the list of criteria.

Wulf

5. Being a music teacher and former band director, I have some experience in this matter. You want to get something that is tuff and reliable and that you can get fixed 5 or even 10 years from now. I would look at Peavey. (jmho):p

6. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    Ditto on the Peavey. As much as I love the other brands, I doubt any of them would be as high-school-student-proof as the Peavey. FWIW, I recently played some basses through a TKO (or TNT?) 15 at a store and it didn't sound half bad.

7. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I saw that coming... :rolleyes:
    The TKO would fit in the price range, has many nice features, only 75W though but I've heard people say that it is rather loud for that power. Rather heavy too, but portability isn't an issue at school anyway.

On the other hand, we could get a good deal on the Warwick (under 500€, which is less than what they ask for the TKO). BTW the Sweet 15 is marketed as 'ideal school amp' by some stores anyway...

8. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Lack of portability could be seen as an added bonus - less likelihood of someone deciding to relocate it without permission ;)

Wulf

9. I wouldn't worry about the extension cab option; it's not that hard to wire one.

10. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Can it be done in a way that meets the safety standards of a public institution such as a school? I guess there's no reason why not, but the cost of doing it properly would have to be figured in - I'm sure that you couldn't get away with bodging it with a couple of wires hanging out the back (certainly not in a UK school).

On the other hand, it would be worth asking whether an extension cab is required at all (and, if so, will there be money to pay for it) - we're talking about an amp for a school, not for a touring hard rock band, after all :)

Wulf

11. I bought my boy a Hartke Kickback 12 two years ago for his high school band. I also use it for small gigs, and pratice. We have been very happy with its performance. I paid $400.00 new. Also we insure all our equipment for theft and damage through my home owners insurance policy. It cost us about $15.00 a year.

Good Luck!

12. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Thanks for your replies, please keep on voting!

Regarding extension cab:
    An extension cab output only makes sense to me if the amp can handle a second cab. This is the case when the amp is designed to run at 4Ohms, but the internal speaker is rated 8Ohms. This way I get larger speaker surface area AND higher power output. Most entry level combos don't provide that. (However some of them allow to unplug the internal speaker and connect a cab instead).
    Using an additional cab is an interesting option because I can use the amp with my 1x12 extension cab when we rehearse at school. I'm even thinking of 'donating' some extra money so that the school can buy a better amp because we can use the rehearsal room for free.

Matthias

13. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA

The Almighty PV!!
    That would be my suggestion also from experience.
    There's a ton of PV dealers (Easy to get fixed) and they do make a great product nowadays.

14. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Originally posted by GreyBeard
    Being a music teacher and former band director, I have some experience in this matter. You want to get something that is tuff and reliable and that you can get fixed 5 or even 10 years from now. I would look at Peavey. (jmho)

100% agreement. I've owned and played through a lot of gear over a lot of years. NOTHING is more reliable and bullet proof than a Peavey.

Pkr2