Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommendation for school bass please

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matthias, Oct 28, 2002.

1. OLP by Musicman

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Ibanez ATK

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Ibanez Ergodyne (cheaper models)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ibanez Soundgear (cheaper models)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Warwick Rockbass Corvette

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Warwick Rockbass Streamer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Yamaha BB 404

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  8. Fender MIM Std. Jazz

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  9. Squier Std. Jazz

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  10. Other (please state)

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    One of my band-mates is music teacher in a high school and is allowed to spend some money on a new bass. He likes the sound I get from my Stingray so he thinks of buying an 'OLP by Musicman'.

However I would like to make some more suggestions and ended up with the above list of basses which seem to be worth looking at.

The sound of the ATK is very close to the Stingray sound too, but maybe a 'not so distinct sounding' bass would be better for school?

What do you think?

Thanks, Matthias

PS: 4-string or 5-string? He's not sure, the school already has a cheap 4-stringer in bad condition. But I would still recommend another 4-stringer for all the beginners using it. OTOH I play 5-string myself and had no problem switching from 4 to 5 at all...

2. Have your friend go with you while you try out all the basses in his price range. Perhaps he should also consider a used bass.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I say for a school.. get a fender Jazz bass

4. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Sorry I wasn't clear enough: It's not for him, it's for the school (resp. the students playing in school bands, etc.). So the old rule 'try and see what YOU like best' can't be applied here. And it has to be a new bass...

5. Probably a safe choice, but the MIM Jazz I tried recently sounded terrible, so be sure you don't get a lemon. The pickups didn't pick up the E or A string very well IMO. Other than that ( and the usual extremely high action at Sam Ash:rolleyes: ) it seemed like a solid bass.

6. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    i agree

7. I realize it's for the school, but shouldn't he choose something he thinks sounds good? Of course, versatility is also important I would think, so that would rule out a few of your options (I would go for something with two pickups).

8. Like a few other voters, I think that the Yamaha is a good option. Yamahas sound good, are versatile -it is, after all, essentially a j bass - and are solidly constructed with an easy playing neck. Also, they seem to have good quality control departments at their factories. Or at least, better than at the Mexican Fender plant (even though they seem to have straightened a few issues out over there as well).

9. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I would go for the Yamaha too. In my old highschool there was this cheap Yamaha BB from the 80's which had been ridden to hell and back and it still played fine. Even the cheapest Yamahas I have tried have been sturdy.

I would stay with 4-string as it's the traditional bass format, plus the narrow neck might be better for those students with smaller hands.

10. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    Does anybody actually play the school's basses? This high school or middle school?
    And I would also say the MIM Jazz is a safe bet

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    As much as Id love to agree, I would have to say a P bass would be better suited.

Its tone is just more well suited for more varieties of music. It has more of a classic image and sound as well.

Peace
    Nick

12. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I think I will narrow it down to Fender MIM J, Warwick Rockbass Streamer or Yamaha BB 404 (or 604) and see how they perform. The Fender might be too expensive though.

Some more input, please!!!
    I know the topic isn't very interesting or cool or funny, but you would really do me a favour!

Matthias

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I think, for school use you want something as simple as possible, that needs as little maintenance as possible. Therefore I would not get active bass. Also, perhaps it would be possible to change few parts of the bass, for example any plastic knobs to metal knobs and strings to flatwounds.

14. Have him get an Essex P and and Essex J bass. He could get both for the price of one MIM Fender, and IMO the Jazz basses are just as good, if not better than the MIM Fender Jazz. I would not have bought 2 if I didn't think so.

I still haven't played an Essex P bass, but if the quality is anything like the J basses, they will be excellent basses for students to learn on.

15. Definitly the ATK....I have a 5 string ATK and some really great Fenders. The ATK has many tonal sound options that my Fender Jazz's can't do...

Fetch!