1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommendation for shortscale acoustic fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by burningplastic, Oct 30, 2013.

1. burningplastic

burningplastic

Oct 30, 2013
    I've been looking around for a shortscale acoustic fretless for a while - ideally 30" or below but not a uke-bass. I've mostly had 34" scale basses, and I'd like to find something to mess around on without having to pull out an amp (headphone or otherwise) and something compact would also be nice. I've recently moved primarily to fretless and would like to carry on this way.

The only shortscale acoustic fretless' that I've seen have been fairly high end ($1500+) and it would be nice to find something playable at the cheap end of the spectrum. I don't even need it to electric acoustic.

Thanks,

D.

2. Why don't you check out Goldtones micro bass. It has a 23" scale and can be had for about 400.00 give or take a bit. I play a Kala u-bass fretless and I love it. I sit around and noodle around while watching TV, then I use when jamming with friends plugged in doing rock and blues, then to church for contemporary worship music. I'm seriously considering the Goldtone with frets as an alternative to the u-bass. Another one is called the short bass but I'm not sure if its being imported at this time.

3. burningplastic

burningplastic

Oct 30, 2013
    The Goldtone looks very cool - I'm going to see if any dealers locally have one in stock to try out - it seems like it could be exactly what I want - bass tone, fretless and compact.

The demo video sounds brilliant.

23" might be a bit small, but I'm willing to give it a try... Would be nice to have a bass I could carry on planes in a hard case...

Let me know if you try one out...

4. This is not a good alternative, but it is an alternative. http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Acou...83129417&sr=8-1&keywords=acoustic+bass+guitar

Since you want fretless, you could remove the frets. The worst you'll do is wreck a $70 bass. I had one. My biggest objection was the frets, which you don't want. Oddly enough, it did not sound bad when amplified. The neck was adequate for messing around the house. For playing out while singing, not so much.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    They're discontinued, but the ibanez fretless acoustic is 32" and pretty great for the money. I had that $80 sky acoustic and it was pretty horrendous. Not even worth eighty bucks, in my opinion. If it survived the defret, I doubt it would sound very good.

6. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Michael Kelly makes a 25' travel ABG. Not sure if a fretless is available.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    There's no fretless version but it's a very well made instrument. I had one and got rid of it cuz not only are there no alternatives to the stock phosphor bronze strings, but even if you break one you can't get a new set. Michael Kelly has nothing to offer and D'Addario, who apparently makes the strings don't have any either.