1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recommendation of flats for a MIF mid 80's jazz special

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by casbonano, Oct 10, 2013.

1. casbonano

casbonano

Aug 29, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    if anyone has a mid 80's MIJ fender Jazz special and has put and kept flatwounds on it, please chime in. it would be welcomed.

i'm picking this one up tomorrow and while i know that this bass is famous for the full out rock and roll picking that is the great duff mckaggan, i have the idea to make this my go to groove machine. 1) just to get away from the idea that it has to be a rock machine because duff used it that way, 2) i've been heckled lately by an other bassist who thinks flats are 100% wrong and crap 100% of the time, while i have always enjoyed playing and listening to flats. and it would just blow his mind if i put flats on this bass, 3) because of its color i am naming it "buttah", which is a great name for a groove axe with flats, 4) with the p/j configuration i should be able to get some great tones with flats.

there's the possibility i may change out the pickups for either quarter pounders or some SD vintage pups, but right now my main concern is choosing a string to tell my tech to slap on there for when he does the set up friday morning.

i have only used chromes before, and liked them fine. i like a stiffer feeling string with a perceived higher tension, if that makes sense.

Attached Files:

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I know exactly what you mean. Chromes are pretty stiff in general. You could experiment and spend a whole lot of money on different flats, but my guess is you're gonna end up back at chromes for this one, based on your description of what you like.

But, if you wanna try something different and awesome, nothing feels or sounds like labellas. Looser than chromes, but they're the best in many peoples' opinions.

I've never tried that bass, but this applies pretty much to flats on any bass.

3. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    For vintage: ghs, dr
    If you still want some more agression: chromes, fender

Other people have recommended labella and TI in the past but i only have experience with the above.

4. LaBellas will definitely get you into that "stiffer feeling string with a perceived higher tension" territory... very thumpy and old school. Rotos are just as stiff or stiffer, but almost round-like in tone with a sharp clank in the high mids.

5. I personally use Labella Deep Talkin' flats on all styles of basses - they are as nice on my Fender J as they are on my Gretsch 6128 and 2202, Squier Mikey Way and Bronco basses, as well as my Gibson EB-0.

The only basses I haven't used them on are basses with low output from the pickups - I find that old roundwounds (a year or more old) push those pickups just a bit harder.