Recommendation on a Trumpet

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    My 14 year old son has been playing Trumpet for 5 years. He plays in a HS marching band. He has a Holton, and we are considering buying a higher end model. Any suggestions? Also, where is a good source to buy one.
  2. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    The nicest horn I ever had, before I gave up on brass, was a four-valve Getzen fluegelhorn. I wonder if they even make them anymore.
  3. Make sure it's silver, all the best high school players have silver ;)
  4. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yep. Definitely a Getzen. They were the best when I was played 'bone, followed by Conn.
  5. Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Yamaha Heavy Wall. Do not buy Bach Strat, they are way overated.

Yamaha makes really really good brass stuff.
  6. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Back in the day you couldn't get any nicer than one of these:

Bach 180S37 Stradivarius Bb Trumpet

New, they're probably around $1500.00 USD, but man they are definitely worth it. Beautiful silver and a tone to die for.
  7. I play bass trombone, not trumpet. But in addition the brands suggest above, Bach seems to have been popular in my HS. There's also Kanstul and Yamaha.

As you can see, it'd probably be best to check out many brands and models in person. (And while he may want to switch mouthpieces at some point on his new horn, it's best to go trying out horns with a mouthpiece you're used to!)

If you were in Indiana, there'd be some major places to check out brass instruments. I don't know what's in Delaware, so I don't know what to tell you. Some of the companies' websites might have lists of dealers. Another thought might be for him to talk to friends, teachers, whoever, to see if he can try out a buddy's horn.

I play an Edwards bass trombone (a division of Getzen). Besides sounding tasty, the thing's so sexy it actually turns the heads of other brass players. I want to take up flugel, but I don't have one, time is scarce, and I kind of need my low brass chops functioning this year.

Mar 12, 2003
    USA, PNW
    6918 NE 79th Court Portland, Oregon 97218 USA (503)255-5552 FAX (503)255-5593
  9. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I hope you're joking. Those are not appropiate for a student with 5 years experience.

And now for some reasonable suggestions.

The Conn Vintage one line is quite good, my wife got to play one of the prototypes before they came out, and we were very impressed. They production line is very good, and reasonably priced.

Bach still makes a nice strad, but have a experienced trumpet player pick one out for you, they are very inconsistant.

Edwards is great, but very expensive, check out the getzen top line horns, which is an off-the-shelf edwards.

This is based on my wife's expereince of over 20 years of playing and teaching trumpet. PM me if you have any more detailed questions for her.
    As for where to buy, Music123 is a good on-line company, also check out dillon music in New jersey, proably the best brass-only store in the world.
    do you have any local stores? you should watch out for paying too much, but most local companies will match prices from the internet.
  10. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks for the ideas. The local shop is offering 200 bucks to trade his used trumpet for a Getzen. I am going to price it around and see if it is a good deal.
  11. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I know only 1 guy that plays a Monette-Joey Tartell. The trumpet players that i work with at school play mainly Bach Strats [ok the top ones do], i think our trumpet/high brass/jazz band director has a bach strat or two. I'm just passing words along as i have never played a brass. I'm all strings :D That's all
  12. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

not sure...that's what my wife plays, though...she also has a bach stradivarius (but it's hardly silver anymore :D ), which sounds really great, but she digs the getzen more (more valves, maybe--more is better?). also, look into getting a good wife swears by her jet-tone. it's shallower, easier to hit higher notes...of course, that's pretty objective...
  13. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    and here's a weird horn for ya...check out rod mcgaha's "ga-horn." man, that thing is weird..._awesome_ horn player, though
  14. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I have an old Bach Strat Trumpet Model 37G I may be willing to sell you if you are interested... it has been well used. but If you really are interested maybe we can work something out
  15. I found some stuff online about Rod McGaha, but couldn't find anything on any "ga-horn." Got any websites with pictures or info?
  16. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    a friend of mine from high school went to college with Joey (i think). did he go to manhattan school of music?