Recommendation please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chillihead, May 20, 2004.

1. Chillihead

Mar 31, 2004
    New Zealand
    As a new player I don't own an amp yet (other than a tiny practice amp). Eventually my guitar playing buddy and I will be doing a small gig for our social club in the hall where we work.

He's got a 50 watt combo (1 x 12"), so I need to get something to at least match his output.

What I would like to ask is what you recommendation I go for in terms of output and to a lesser extent the speaker size / number. My budget is limited (read tiny) so I'll be buying second hand assuming that I can find something for sale.

Also I wonder if perhaps I forgo buying my own and just hire something for the event - is this a good practice?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Chillihead

Mar 31, 2004
    New Zealand
    Is there a particular phrase I need to use to get a reply?

Do I need to re-phrase what it is I am asking?

I can't believe that there is no one amongst the many knowledgable folks here willing to share their working experience with me.
  3. That's right, you're on our ignore list :p.

I'm a combo fan, I'll say that up front. A 200 watt combo will probably do the job, and set you back $250-$450. It'll probably be turned all the way up to match your guitarist, but I think it'll keep up. I've never rented, but I suppose that's an option if you're willing to put up with the hassle.
  4. Chillihead

Mar 31, 2004
    New Zealand
    Thanks Poseur, I guess the old 4 x guitarists wattage stands true, even in small venues.
  5. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    You will be surprised at how loud a 50 watt guitar amp can get. I always thought that peavey had the best dollar to voulme ratio. Some people even like the tone. :D ;)
  6. Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    Nothing wrong with renting; what better way to know if an amp is what you're looking for then to run it for a night live. I rented a GK head in Jan. for a gig - cost $11.00 for the night. Inspired me to get my SWR fixed.
  7. jbass

Mar 22, 2004

Agreed. Suggest you rent it one day before to be familiar with it's tonal characteristics though. Not good to explore it's sound and tonal quality onstage.
  8. ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    Renting seems to be a good idea (though I've never rented an amp myself). That way you're not committed to the amp and it'll give you an idea of what you might prefer/need in an amp (i.e. wattage, tonal character, price, etc.)

I second that suggestion to get at least 200 watts. The more the merrier.

A while back, I gigged with a 50watt 1x12 combo for a few months (Ampeg BA-112?). It seemed fine at first since I can hear myself through the monitors. Then one day the monitor amps blew up, and I could barely discern what I was hearing from the FOH. That was it, I had to get more power, more speakers. I ended up with an Eden WT600 + EBS 210. Just recently I added another EBS 210, later I'll add a 15" (EBS 15F).
  9. Chillihead

Mar 31, 2004
    New Zealand
    I think I'll be struggling to be to afford to buy a 200 watt combo, so it looks like renting might be the go. There is a good place in town for audio/visual gear, so I'll check them out.

Thanks to all who replied.