Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommendation?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kelly Lee, Jul 5, 2004.

1. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I have this posted in setup but after two days haven't received one reply so I'm going to try here. I'm wanting to rebuild my old BC Rich. All I need is a luthier that can put on an ebony fretboard, frets and a new nut and do a decent job of it. Thats it. Can you recommend a luthier that can do the work and not charge a fortune? Thanks in advance.

2. Don't be so impatient - you posted your question on one of the largest holidays in the nation. There are LOTS of posts that haven't had responses because people aren't around to answer them.

As for the term "not charge a fortune" - be prepared for this to cost in the $200+ range. This is a very detail oriented project that has such potential for problems for the craftsman that he is going to ask enough to cover his work.

Does your Rich have a painted neck? That will run you another $200+ for refinishing if needed. On some of the painted necks, there is no way to remove the fretboard without damaging the finish so a refinish to blend in the repair will be necessary at the least. If more of the finish is damaged, then it could entail a full refinish.

BTW, in what part of the country do you reside?

3. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    DOH! I didn't even think about the 4th holiday :eek: Sometimes I'm really dense. My apologies. The neck is painted but I plan on refinishing the paint as well. I can take care of the paint myself. I have plenty of experience in automotive finishes. I wouldn't think it would be that much different...is it? The term "not charge a fortune" wasn't how I wanted to put it, it just came out that way. I have been told locally that I might pay upwards of $500+. $200-$300 wouldn't be bad at all.
    I live near Tucson AZ BTW. Thanks for your help.

4. My $200 target was what a local ebony fretboard replacement would run. We are probably talking about the same range here.

Yes, the automotive paint route is a good one to go. I currently use some 2 part acrylic polyurethanes on some of my projects. I just finished a repaint (with imbedded graphics) of a Cort Curbow. My fave clearcoat right now is a PPG high solids clear. I'm not using the matched extender - just lacquer thinner. Been working like a champ.

BTW, I would love to do a spray job in the Arizona humidity. Shoot, I could probably do 4 full coats a day! :D

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Try shooting in July in central Florida. Then again just try sleeping in July in central Florida with a broken A.C. :rollno:

6. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    try doin a complete flame job on a car in the middle of a rain storm in norther california near the coast line.

waitin a full day for the friggin highlights on the tips when it should only take a couple of hours ( and this was even under heat lamps )

7. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    There are some nice advantages to living out here in hel...um...Tucson! Let me tell you something though, dry heat my rear! The hottest time of year is also what they call the monsoon season. The humidity can be at 100% and the temp at 113F :eek: Without AC here, life really sucks.

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I grew up in El Paso, so I can appreciate your plight... It got that hot in El Paso, you never went outside w/o shoes, thats for certain.

Anyway, It gets really dry & dusty...

9. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I can't tell if Hambone's taking this thing or not but Smash does some stuff I know. Any particular reason for not just doing a refret?

10. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I have nobody offering to do the work or recommending anyone who can.
    I want to rebuild the entire bass to suit my tastes. The reason I want Ebony is I love the feel and look of it. This bass has a lot of sentimental value to me (my first bass) and I want her to look as nice as she plays. Its not something I plan to do till my new bass arrives (it should be on its way here! :D ) as its the only bass I have for playing. I'm figuring a time frame of aroung 8-10 weeks before I'm ready to do it. If I haven't found someone by then, it looks like I'm going to learn how to do it myself :eyebrow: I have good woodworking skills but have never used them on an instrument. Thanks guys.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If you want someone to just refinish your body, & neck,,, you could give RoxyGuitarFinish a call! They work in automotive grade, poly finishes & are in your price range.

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Hmm. I ask about the ebony cause that really changes the playing field. Refret is one thing, reboard another. FWIW, I have read that stewmac puts out a product that supposedly gives an ebony appearance. No experience with it and it doesn't sound like it'd work for your situation but just to throw it out to create an awareness.

I personally wouldn't do the work myself without getting some low-end piece and working it over first - since it's sentimental. Not familiar with BC Rich but I know they made some low-end stuff. If it's one of them and not hard to come by, I'd think about picking up one off ebay (or wherever) and giving it a going over first. If nothing else, you'll have backup parts and likely learn something you needed to know you wouldn't learn doing a different bass. The good thing about doing it yourself is you know what you want and it's tough to get somebody else, no matter how good they are, to really nail what you had in mind as simple as it may seem. Don't know what all Smash does but you can give him a PM and he'll be up front I'm sure. I'd think he'd have pics of past projects.

Good luck with it.

13. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    McHack, I plan on doing the finish work myself. I have some rather interesting ideas I might try :D

luknfur, thanks for the info and the suggestions. I have searched for another BC like mine but cannot seem to find one. Heck, nobody can even identify which model mine is! I have seen one other one like mine on Ebay and it sold for over $400 which was out of my price range. I will definately find a cheap neck just to use for practice before I try to do it myself. I'll talk to Smash and see what he has to say. Thanks.

14. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    toss me a pic and ill see if i can tell what it is

15. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Here is my baby:
    [​IMG]

It has a slant at the neck/body junction and so does the fretboard. I was originally going to buy myself another from Carvin but I don't think it will work. The Carvin doesn't have the slant and it is only 22 fret so I would have to relocate my bridge 1" further back.

16. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    wow, that is diffrent hehe

17. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Well, it looks like I'm on my own. Thats cool! I love having a reason to start a project :D A friend of mine gave me a Epiphone Les Paul guitar that is worthless. It should give me some practice before I take on my bass. Once more into the breech... :bassist: