recommendations for 10" speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drade, Dec 16, 2001.

1. drade

Sep 24, 2001
    I am developing a 410 cabinet, I have 6.36778 ft.<sup>3</sup> to work with, it will be vented around 30hz. can anyone please recommend a make and model of a 10" speaker that will exel in this enclosure? I will use with 5 and 6 string basses so I need a fairly broad frequency response and I would like a good compromise between low end and loudness. what speaks will work good? Thanks
  2. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    haha, oxymoron, good one!!:D
  3. A perfect match would be the Peerless 831759, but they are no longer listed on the Peerless site, nor at Madisound online. This driver is optimum in 1.5 cubic feet at 31 Hz, and -3dB at 36 Hz.

Even with 10" drivers, you are going to need a midrange driver or tweeter as well. You can get the Parts Express catalog and they sell a zillion different driver types.
  4. drade

Sep 24, 2001
    i want it so i can have a really fat low end with it alone, and i am developing a subwoofer system too to really add some umph. i was planning using a tweeter too.
  5. I've been down this road already.

You can use low efficiency drivers, at least four of them, and get moderate loudness and exceptional low response. With LOTS of power.

You can use the big JBL, TAD, Lambda, RCF drivers in 4 ~ 8 cubic feet, but you will still only get about 95 SPL from a single driver. This is -11dB down from an Eden D-410XLT, and less than half as loud.

I encourage you to download my spread sheet and examine it. Sort the DRIVERS tab by descending SPL and ascending F3 values. You will see that if you want loud and low, it has to be huge. If you want small and low, it has to be power hungry.

Take a look at the RCF L18P200 8-ohm driver. It is 18", 95 SPL and optimum in 7 cubic feet tuned at 31 Hz. This is only 1 more cubic foot than your planned box. This makes about the same noise as the Acme B-4 series, but it will need as much power.

Frankly, I'd look at buying either the Eden D-210MBW or the Eden D-410XST. Both have good low end response and are pretty loud.
  6. drade

Sep 24, 2001
    i would, but i dont have exel so i can't view the file.