Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommendations for 410 cab

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by buffalobillh, Jul 22, 2005.

1. buffalobillh

buffalobillh

Jul 20, 2005
    Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Samuel Shen Basses, NS Design, D'Addario Strings
    I've been doing lots of research, but haven't gotten to do any trials. Ampeg and SWR have been suggested to me. Any others I should look at? Hartke, Fender, Behringer, etc.? Any models I should stay away from?

Thanks for the help.

Bill

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Are you talking for upright only, or for doubling?

Tom.

3. buffalobillh

buffalobillh

Jul 20, 2005
    Texas
    Upright. I may do some doubling with it, but not enough for consideration.

Bill

4. I have to confess, I've never seen anyone using a 4x10 cabinet for DB work. Has anyone ever tried it?

5. buffalobillh

buffalobillh

Jul 20, 2005
    Texas
    Seen them a lot around Austin. Nice sound. Plenty of power (which I need). 1/8 or a 110 won't come close to the volume I need. Currently using a Dietz 15", but it's flabby down low. I also thought about adding a 210 to it, but I worry about that flabbiness. Suggestions?

Bill

6. Well, maybe I just don't get out much! As for the 15s, yup, I find 'em flabby for DBs as well. I have a 12-incher (I say proudly!) and when I need more volume, I use a second 1x12 cab. Just in case you haven't considered the "double 12" option....

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    No offense, but Ampeg and SWR would be on my "stay away" list for upright. I prefer a more uncolored sound, or at least a very precise sound. If you were going to go with a 4x10 for sure, then I would say that the EA NM-410 would be my top choice, followed by the Epifani T-410UL. If you have some decent power, then an ACME Low B-4II would be awesome, too.

But, if you are open to considering other large cabs, then an Accugroove Whappo, Jr. is pretty good for double bass, as is the Bergantino HT322. I haven't tried my Berg NV215 with upright, but I think it might actually work really well.

Tom.

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    True. I can't think of a situation with upright which my two EA Wizzy 1x12's couldn't cover in spades.

Tom.

9. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Don't want to "hock my wares" outside of the proper forum, but I have a pre-washburn Eden 410 that is in mint condition. Great cabinet for BG or okay for DB; but could be overkill if you don't play loud gigs. I go direct at my gigs (BG), so I'm getting something smaller when needed for the practice room and occasional jam.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=191519

Mods: Please delete if inappropriate.

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    I got stuck with the dreaded Hartke 4x10 as a rental a few years ago. I kind of groaned when I saw it onstage, but as it turned out, it was not half bad. I liked it better with the DB than I ever did with the slab.

Did I actually say that out loud? :bag:

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I like my Schroeder 410 very well...

12. I really like my SWRs 210 and 410. They are the older versions.

Did not like the Hartke at all.
    Peavey = no
    Carvin= no
    ...thats it for me.

13. buffalobillh

buffalobillh

Jul 20, 2005
    Texas
    Thanks for the all the help so far.

Jesse,

Check your email. BTW, got any pics?

Bill

14. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
  15. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Well, if you want a fabulous-sounding 4x10, I'm sure Don at Low Down Sound could make one for you. You name it, he can make it, or so it seems.

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Good point. Don makes some killer cabs, and he can use neo drivers, if you like, for a very light 4x10. Or, you could do a 4x8! Or a 4x8/1x15! Or two 3x8's! Or whatever you want! Truly custom jobs.

17. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I've been keeping up with the gushing, eh great reviews, about the LDS custom cabs. I think a 2x8 3way may be in my future; but that's down the road. I just got a EA VL-110 from JazzLawyer here on TB. It sounds great, but I see what everyone means about it being a power hog. Bet the 2x8 would sound great w/the 110...but that's another thread. (Tbeers. Eagerly awaiting your review.)

I A/B'd the EA110 with the Eden 410. The Eden has that mad fat bottom that I love for BG; but the EA is pretty fat, and my back is wrecked. Can't handle the 90 lbs, or I'd keep it for sure.

Tombowlus, what do you figure the approx. weight of and LDS 410 would be w/neo's. I'd like to A/B it w/the Eden.

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, the Epifani T-410UL weighs in at 57 lbs, and I think Don uses the same or equivalent weight neo drivers. However, I think that Epi uses some lighter weight woods. At any rate, I'd say he can probably build one under 65 lbs or so, but that is mere speculation. I will say that his neo 2x15 felt like it weighed about 15 lbs! But it looked like a 150 lb. monster. Talk about an optical illusion!

Tom.

19. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Probably save a few bucks too with the LDS cabinet. Comparable pwr handling to the Epifani too, right?

So this isn't a typo in your profile...LDS 3 way 5x8? How burly is that thing sound-wise? Might this beast compare well to a 410 or similar.

How does the T-110UL compare to the EA VL-110 sound-wise?

Tom, I could keep this up all night...but I'm hijacking. Sorry guys. Back to the 410's.