Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommendations for 6 string bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by frost13, Aug 4, 2000.

1. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    What strings are all the 6 stringers using on their basses?

2. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Where are all the six stringers when ya need them???.....:)

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't know if i count, since i don't play any basses with only 6 strings on them :D, but i use dean markley sr2000, and i love them. the will lee set has some fairly heavy gauge strings for the middle 3 (A-D-G) but i get custom gauges that work great ...

F# = .150"
    B = .127" sometimes, mainly .135"
    E = .107"
    A = .078"
    D = .055"
    G = .035"
    B/C = .030"
    E/F = .027"

hope that helps.

4. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Thanks John. I'll have to give them a try. And that info is also handy for when I get that 7 string Conklin.....:)

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What difference does it make whether you are using 5,6 or 7 strings? I use the same whether it's for 5 or 6 - D'Addario SlowWounds. I gave a used 6-string set to a pro Jazz player and he was so impressed he used the same set on a recording he was doing - and that wasn't even nearly new!

6. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I guess it doesn't really matter at all, Bruce. I was just looking for some "friendly" advice as I enter uncharted territory ...for me at least. I thought that people playing 6 strings, or more...:).....might be a bit more choosey about what strings they use.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can see the point from this angle. I remember when I first started playing a 6-string, I did try a few types of string, as at first the sound was very muddy and unclear and I tried different strings as a way of curing this.

I think there is also the point that strings that give tremendous sustain on 4-strings start to become a liability on 6 as you have to mute them all and at first it seems quite daunting to play anything at all without at least one of the other strings resonating and providing unwanted sounds.

So I found that stainless steel strings were just too bright - unless you're John Patitucci - and that Nickel coated were a better compromise. I think there is also a case for having as high quality strings as possible on 6-string to take advantage of the different tonal possibilities available to you. A good B can make a huge difference and I also found that D'Addario Cs sound much nicer for soloing in terms of clarity than almost any other. But you do have more room for experiment as well, as you can have something like a very light C and/or G for solos while retaining heavier lower strings to play basslines and grooves. You almost end up with two instruments - a bass section and lead section.

8. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Thanks Bruce. I guess that is the info I was looking for. I suppose I could have stated my original question a little better....:)
    Maybe the question should have been....does any one set fit the need, or should I buy them individually. I guess only time spent playing and getting "my sound" will give me a better idea about that.
    You made some great points and I appreciate your help!

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, i used to use rotosound pretty exclusively back in my 4 string days, but their low B's don't cut it for me, in fact they used to be really lame, every one that i tried. and for a while not every manufacturer was making the lighter strings - not too long ago half the string makers around didn't even offer anything smaller than a .35" or a .040" without special ordering. even now, not every 6+ string set is well balanced, the string companies still don't have a complete clue as to how to offer various gauges with the extended range sets, like those offered for 4 string sets. i have to get my strings direct from markley, special order, just because i want to have even tension across the neck. :confused:

so i think it's a perfectly reasonable question to specifically ask for 6 stringers advice. and i gave all 8 gauges that i use just as an FYI, to inform that dean markley did in fact make strings that were that small and that large.

10. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    definitely try to find a manufacturer that you like and then experiment with gauges. like i said in my last post, over the past 7 years that i've been buying 7 + string sets, i've found no pre-packaged sets that really have what i am looking for across the board.

i am still tweaking my string gauges, to get the exact sound and feel that i want. then again, it's probably pretty safe to assume i am fairly anal about my strings.

11. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    It looks like experimenting is the way to go. I'll give a set a try...and then tweak it as I go. I know it also depends on our own hands. But you guys ahve given me a place to start...thanks!

12. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I've used and been happy with D'Addario XL's and Vinci 719's. The Vinci's are REALLY inexpensive, and both survive boiling quite nicely.

I assume you're playing a fretted...

13. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Eli....Where do you get the Vincis'? I have a set on my headless bass and am VERY happy with the tone. But I haven't been able to find them again.