Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommendations for a 1x10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jive1, May 21, 2003.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I am in a quest to come up with a versatile, lightweight, kick ass sounding modular rig. I have most of the pieces together, but need some help on a 1x10 cab. Right now I have a Peavey MAX preamp and an Ampeg SVT-IIP Preamp. The power amp I will use is a Peavey DPC1000 that I have on the way. That amp will give me 550 @4ohms, 375 @8Ohms by two in one rack space at 12 lbs. The preamp is around 7-8 lbs. So my 1000W Rack system will be two rack spaces and 20 lbs. Hooah! The cabs I am using are 2 Aguilar GS112s, which are awesome. I can't wait to pump some power into them. Even though the bass response is awesome, I miss some up the clarity and punch of 10s. I am considering getting 2 1x10 cabs. They could be paired with a single GS112, or used for the highs in a biamped crossover system.
    At this point, I'm getting stretched for cash. I'll probably start out with getting one 1x10 cab first, then add another one later when I have saved up enough cash or sold some stuff. I've heard great stuff about the Raezer's Edge, Accugroove, EA, and Epifani stuff, but they are out my price range. The Ashdown Mini 10T and the Eden D110 cabs are little on the heavy side for me.
    So, I'm leaning towards the following:
    Ampeg Portabass PB110
    Eden CXM-110
    Acme Low B1
    Flite 110H

Does have any experience with any of these? Does anyone know how they match up with the Aggies? Does anyone know how these cabs would sound combined with each other? Any issues with power?

Thanks in advance

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if $was no objet i'd reccomend the epi 110
    you might consider asking bag end about their little known custom 110 cabs usually made for milford music in CT. These are small cabs with powerful midrange
    i personally balance my aggie 112 with a bag end 122 - the bag end flls in all the high end mids that the aggie lacks

3. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I have heard alot of good things about the Acme Low B2, (2x10) and the avatar B210. I've seen the Low B2 at around 200 bucks, and the Avatar new at 239. Good luck. also if you like SWR, i know the Workingmans 1x10/tweeter is new at 189$.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i'll vote for the Ampeg Portabass 1x10. lots of good tone for the price, and it weighs next to nothing!

despite my affinity for all things Epifani and Bergantino, the little Ampeg was quite cool.

5. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    All you got to do is look at the specs of the EA CXL110, the best damn 1x10" on the planet!!

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If the Acme B1 is like other Acmes it will be power hungry and flat in response (i.e. not really punchy).

I believe that all Ampeg PortaBass cabs are 4 ohms which may or may not present a problem.

Did you do a search for the cabinets that you mentioned? Also, have a look at www.harmonycentral.com (bass cabs reviews a held in the guitar amp section) or www.bgra.net

How about building your own? I'll bet an Eminence Delta 10 and a Foster/Fostex tweeter would make a nice punchy addition to the GS-112s.

I built myself a 1x10 with a spare PAS 10 that I had laying around (it was a backup for my Goliath II). The box is basically half of a Goliath II Jr. except the port fires out the front. I also included a Foster/Fostex tweeter too. Sounds pretty good, although the mids aren't as present as I would like (in other words, it sounds like an SWR). A single 10 in. speaker doesn't have much cone area though...

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have an Epifani T-110UL (ultra light) teamed up with an Epifani T-112. To me, the 1x12/1x10 combo is the way to go for a mini rig, but then again, that's just me. I was heavily considering a pair of Raezer's Edge cabs, but I couldn't find any local to audition, and then when I tried out the Epi's, I fell in love.

If weight is an issue, the Epi T-110UL only weighs 23 lbs! It is a breeze to lift and carry. I can highly recommend them. If money is an issue, the Ashdown Mini 10T is a good bargain right now, as prices on the Mini's seem to be dropping a bit. I just bought a Mini 10T off ebay. When it comes in, I'll let you know how it sounds (although you did say that the Ashdowns are a bit heavey for you).

If you are short on cash, but still want a lightweight 1x10, I'd also consider custom made cabs from smaller manufacturers. The guys at Low Down Sound (www.lowdownsound.com) will build about anything you want for a very reasonable price. They do have access to the neo drivers as well, so they could build you a really light 1x10 (or 10" + 8", or 1x8", or whatever). I bought my Epifani's from them, and at the time, Don had me go back and check out his workshop. They definitely build their cabs right.

From the short list that you put forth, I would think that any of them would work well with your GS112. I have not heard any of those brands myself, though.

Hope this helps, Tom.

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I love Acme, but IMO it's a waste of their capabilities to use them as the high end of a system. Their whole thing is being able to go low, and to do this they trade off a good deal of efficiency, meaning they require more power to get to a given volume level. I'm not saying their highs sound bad, far from it, but you might wanna go with something more efficient.

9. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Hevos (http://www.hevos.nl) Midget cabinet looks very impressive.

Don't know about availability in the US, but I believe some have found their way over.

Perhaps on the pricey side though.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    [​IMG]
    I've been getting a lot of milage out of this pic recently!:D

I really like the way the EA and the Aguilar compliment each other. I feel like I get the best of both the 12" and 10" worlds. Also, the EA worked just fine by itself at a recent electric jazz rehearsal with a 5 string.

I like the way the Portabass 1x10 sounds, but since it is 4ohm, it might not work as well in a mix and match situation. I liked the sound of the Portabass geat enough that I bought a Portabass 250, and I'm probably going to pick up an Ampeg Portabass 2x10, I think, so I can run a stereo rig.

I have not tried the Acme or the Flite cabs.

11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Thanks for everyone's responses. I didn't realize that the Ampeg was 4 Ohm. That means that if I pair it up with another speaker, I'll be running under 4 ohms. No good. The Acme has had some great reviews, but I can't deal with the low speaker efficiency of the Acme. The sensitivity difference between the Aggies and the Acme would be inefficient use of power (106db vs 90db). The Aggies put out plenty of low, so I don't think I need the low end of the Acme. Though I would like a cab that is more full range, I can sacrifice some lows for crisper mids and highs, as well as cheaper and lighter.

Though I can afford an Eden CXM-110, I may save up some money and try to go for one of the others, like the EA CXL-110,Epifani T-110, or Flite 103. None of these are as efficient as the Aggies, but they are anywhere from 6-9db higher in speaker sensitivity than the Acme. I am realy intrugued by the 3 way system, so I am considering the Flite cabs as well.

Anyone have a preference or comment on any of the following?
    Eden CXM-110
    EA CXL-110
    Epifani T-110
    Flite 103

This may seem like a stupid question to some, but are the EAs and Epifanis worth the extra money?

Thanks in advance.

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I can't speak directly for the EA, but with regard to the Epifani, I'd say yes, it is worth saving up for. In addition to being a quality cab with a great driver that is light yet very sturdy, the tweeter on the Epifani's is really a treat. I have tweeters on other cabs (including Mesa and Eden) where the tweeter seemed to only add hiss and/or was very harsh (the Mesa's is better than the Eden, IMHO), with the net result being that I turn them down or off. With my Epifani's, I keep them on (not quite all the way), and they definitely add useable definition and clarity, with no hiss. Epifani spends a lot of time and money on their tweeters, and they design the crossovers to work with the particular driver(s) that they are used with, so the transition from driver(s) to tweeter is fairly seemless.

The EA is killer and well worth the money also, I am sure.

Tom.

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I think you're right about the sensitivity difference with Acme. However, that 106 dB figure for the Ag looked unrealistically high, so I looked on the website. The Aguilar site says those 1-12 cabs are 102 dB, not 106. Plus, you may or may not get the full sensitivity in the very lowest register, because when Ag gives you a frequency response down to 42, they don't say whether that's actually flat to 42 (i.e., +/- 3 dB) or whether they mean "usable" down to 42 (which could be - 6 or even -10 dB). Even so, though, the Acme isn't nearly as efficient as the Ag.

14. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    accugroove makes a 1x10+1x6+horn... i don't think you don't get much more full range than that in this size! i just saw one on ebay for a BIN of $700 and something (i'm in no way affiliated with the buyer) but i guess that's out of your price range too...

15. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    it should read: i'm in no way affiliated with the seller! sorry about that... and the BIN price is $725 BTW. ;)

16. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I really like my EA CXL-110

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    speaking of 1x10's,

i just spoke with Nick Epifani (who, btw, loved my little novella on my visit! :p ), and said, he'll have a bunch of 1x10's ready for me to plunder this Tuesday!

cant wait to finally get my supalight pair of 1x10 epi magic. but, dagnabit, all this 1x10 talk is making me want a pair of Acme's, too!!! AHHH!!

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I know that you said the Ashdown Mini 10T might be on the heavey side for you, but you can't beat the price that The Bass Place is selling them for on ebay right now. $195 (plus shipping) BIN.

I picked one up from them for $164 plus $40 shipping, and I am considering getting a second. They have 10 up for sale right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2532724631&category=4713&rd=1

Seems like a phenomenal deal, given that these are new cabs.

Tom.