1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommendations for a 7 String Bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Meridian69, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Meridian69

Meridian69

May 28, 2012
    Denver, CO
    So... I jumped off into the deep end this morning and pre-ordered an Ibanez BTB7. What are some good recommendations for strings for it? I have been using D'addario XLs on my Ibanez 506 for a while and like the sound. I had some GHS Boomers on my 4 string BTB and did not like them very much. I did recently switch over my 4 string to DR Black Beauties and I really like them a lot.

Does DR make the coated strings for a 7 string bass (either individually or in a set)? What are some other recommendations on strings for a 7 string bass?

Thanks in advance!

2. songwriter21

songwriter21 I have an obsession for wood. The musical kind. Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    LaBella, Circle K, Conklin

3. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    By the way, no, at least to my knowledge, DR does not make 7-string bass sets at all. The only brands I know that venture out past 6-strings, as far as pre-packaged sets go, are the brands previously mentioned.

Oh, and juststrings.com has a CRAP-TON of single strings that you can make into a custom set, from all kinds of brands. Circle K strings are their own brand, whereas JustStrings has the most selection that I've ever seen anywhere online.

Hope this helps....

4. Meridian69

Meridian69

May 28, 2012
    Denver, CO
    It helps a lot. Thank you for the suggestions.

5. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Any company that makes a 6 string set and add a plain steel High-F...

6. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Low F# or high F?
    If high F you can use a guitar plain .018 with a detached bass ball end threaded onto it, i do this a lot with my BTB it's a bit fiddly getting it through the saddle but is cheap ... if you can find a string long enough, i have found Rotosound and D'Aquisto plains long enough.
    If you want a wound high F Conklin Guitars sell individual .020s and .022s through their site.
    Circle K Strings sell tension balanced sets if you want that, if you are going low F# i consider CKS the best sub-B strings available.

7. PlatypusBassist

PlatypusBassist

Jun 15, 2011
    I know that resound do a dropzone set which has a string designed for a low F, just incase you wanted a low F#

8. PlatypusBassist

PlatypusBassist

Jun 15, 2011
    *rotosound

9. I prefer DR Lo-Riders so I just ordered a six - string set and ordered a couple of stainless steel high F strings from Conklin. I got a .20 wound and a .15 plain steel. I thought the wound sounded better but the tension felt better on the plain string.

10. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    The challenge with 7-string is that high F. There are few sources of wound strings in the .022-025" range. Wound guitar string construction isn't strong enough for bass guitar tensions. Plain strings sound and feel radically different.

Of course you could always drop the whole instrument a fourth or fifth, and tune it to low F# or E.

11. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I sold my 7's, but I really liked Dean Markley SR2000's. I also like them on basses with 4, 5, or 6 strings. :) They're not terribly expensive, either.

12. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    .020W strings

Ken Smith Stainless Steel
    Ken Smith Nickel Plated Steel
    MTD Stainless Steel
    MTD Nickel Plated Steel

.022W string

Dean Markley SR2000 Stainless Steel

.025W strings

Ken Smith Stainless Steel
    Ken Smith Nickel Plated Steel
    D'Addario XL Nickel Plated Steel
    DR Sunbeam NPS
    DR Hi-Beam SS
    DR Lo-Rider SS
    (They might have a NPS Lo-Rider as well)
    Elrick Nickel Plated Steel
    Elrick Stainless Steel
    La Bella Nickel Plated Steel
    La Bella Stainless Steel
    DR Lo-Rider SS
    Rotosound Stainless Steel

13. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    I had Ken Smith Bass Burners on my Conklin when I had it. I would buy the 6 string pack and then a single; either F# or F.

14. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California

That is really what people need to do for 7 string sets... There aren't many "Pre-packaged" available...

However, buying a 4 string set and single B C & F strings opens up a world to much more variety... I usually point people in the direction of a 5 string set and single High-C... Even that creates a lot more options.

15. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
  16. songwriter21

Jul 31, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Sponsored by Hipshot
    I'm new to Bassstringsonline, but the last two transactions have been fantastic. Their prices are better than JustStrings, and that's why I switched.

17. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Pyramid ;)