Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommendations for a beginner's first bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cynic, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Cynic

Cynic

Jul 15, 2004
    Israel
    Hi, I want to buy my first bass guitar ( :D ), and so far I have 4 suggested competitors (for every bass there is it's price in $) :

1. Washburn XB120 (Price: $219)
    2. Peavey Millennium 4 BXP (Price: $202)
    3. Yamaha RBX170 (Price: $179)
    4. Aria IGB40 (Price: $219)
    (As you can see, my budget is $200 +/- )

I found them on music123.com (eventually I will buy my bass the from them) and confirmed they have a good overall rating at harmony-central.com.

So which one is the best in your opinion and will be the best for me? My music favorite music genres are Metal (More technical stuff) and Fusion.
    TIA! ;)

(btw If you have a suggestion for a better bass in this budget I will be glad to know about it :) )

2. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    I would suggest a Peavey Grind bass. They are $369 with a hardshell case at www.musiciansfriend.com. I know this is a little above your budget but it is the best buy for your money. I got onw to play some dates in South America because I didn't want to dly with my Warwick. I was amazed at how well it played. Check one out and I think you'll like it.

3. Cynic

Cynic

Jul 15, 2004
    Israel
    Wow this Grind Bass looks just fabulous (and I see it is made from other materials then the ones used at the other I listed above) but unfortunately I can't afford it... :(
    As you can see, my budget is quite limited... only $200 +/- . :meh:

4. Out of those choices i would recommend the Peavey or the Aria.
    Peavey makes good stuff from my experience..solid..dependable and sounds decent.
    I have played many Aria's however..and like them slightly better than the Millennium's. I just found them to be more comfortable..and i perfer the cosmetics as well.

I find both basses are pretty versatile and quite respectably good for thier price range.

5. errm...check out Rondo Music. Almost everyone and their grandma has a bass from Rondo and will vouch that it is a great starting bass.

6. TotalJam

TotalJam

Jul 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I just ordered my SX :D

7. These things are great basses for the $$$. I played a 5 string ($249 @ GC) the other day and it felt and sounded very nice. You could probably pick up the 4 string model for 200-220. Check a few of them, because some are set up better than others.

8. Cynic

Cynic

Jul 15, 2004
    Israel
    Well I think that now my conflict is between the Peavey Millennium 4 and the Aria IGB40. I don't think I like the look of the OLPs...
    Just expecting for some more replies about the Aria and the Peavey, and that's it :)
    oh and btw the Aria IGB40 has an Alder body with Maple neck and the Peavey Millennium 4 has a Basswood body with Hard Rock Maple neck. don't know the difference tho.

9. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I have no experience with Aria, but the Peaveys are generally pretty solid instruments. The problem with the $200 price range is that there is quality control isn't as tight. You might get a really good one, but you might get a dog. So, order over the Internet is a bit risky.

Another choice for you is to get a used bass. A used Fender MIM (Made In Mexico) bass will sell for right around $200.

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Cynic - Your profile doesn't have the info, (not a good idea when asking for info here), but I'll assume you have some decent music stores in your area.

Hit their "used basses" racks and give them test drives. You will get far more value, per dollar, with a nice, "pre-owned", bass than paying top dollar for a new bass.
    Budget basses get screwed, in terms of resale, when you try to get rid of them and want to move on to something better.

More importantly - make your amp your investment priority..........a decent amp with a so-so bass will get you much further than vice-versa.

I know we all want pretty basses, but your amp's sound is the bottomline, not how your bass looks.

11. Alder Bodies typically sound better, but in this price range anything goes because where one brand may cut corners on wood the other may cut corners on electronics and hardware. I don't have much experience with Aria and limited with Peavey basses. I did own a low line Peavey that was a dog.

I think with either bass you will be looking to upgrade shortly.

If possible buy a used instrument. You will be able to pick up a used MIM Fender or something like that Peavey Grind in your $$$ range fairly easy. I know what it is like to be on a budget and I went through many, many, many basses to get what I have now. But a bit of advice buy the best you can afford and if that isn't much like you current situation, get an instrument that can at least serve as a backup later or give you something to upgrade the pickups in. Like a MIM Fender Jazz or P. Hope this helps. OLP or Essex ;) Don't rule them out.

12. Cynic

Cynic

Jul 15, 2004
    Israel
    Well you are all right. my amp should be in the higher priority...
    But I have a problem. I live in israel, and the variety of new instruments here isn't so big, well not as much as in stores at USA, and when there is something - it's too expensive. so I have two choices - the first is ordering from a shop like music123 or something like that and the second is buying a used instrument. From what I understand from this thread, it's better to buy used. maybe that is a better option for now.
    Well I think now I know everything I wanted to know when I posted the thread.
    thanks alot :) and this is a great forum, I think I will be back here when I will have my bass.
    ;)

13. Wyzird05

Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    In my opinion going with a used Fender Mexico is the best way to go, but if you want to go new either the Peavy or Aria aren't that different and if you order from Music123 request a setup be done on the bass before it goes out the door. I don't think there is any extra charge, it just takes a couple extra days to get out the door.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Seconded.

15. Best bass to learn on.

Squier P deluxe.

The decent tone, and slim neck/bad setup will help you develope more finger strength.