Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommendations for a decent amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stars, Feb 19, 2006.

1. stars

stars

Feb 11, 2006
    Hello!

currently running my rig through a VOX T-15 bass home practice amp.

have been having kinda like a few small gigs recently and i realised renting amps or borrowing them is not really a feasible idea.

thinking of getting a bigger amp capable of playing to a small audience and be heard over the drums. plus great tone to boot.

budget is around , 300-400 USD, preferably 10" / 12" speakers.

maybe even a small MESA, anyone has any to recommend ?

main requirements : fat , warm sound with large amounts of mids.

2. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Setup and repair/KRUTZ Strings
    Ampeg B100R. Often on EBAY below your price range. $550 new. 15" and 65lbs may be a bit bigger than you are thinking, but it has the best sound per pound of anything near the price. Read the reviews.

3. alanbass1

alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    London
    In the lower price range I have always liked Ashdown. Guitar centre do some great deals and you can pick up a 1x15 300 watt EVO combo for $399. A 2x10 version for $499 is slightly more than your budget but probably worth stretching to to cut through a band.

http://www.guitarvision.com/mf/mf_frameset.htm

4. stars

stars

Feb 11, 2006
    thanks guys !

any head / combo i can look for ?

if its something a little outta the range but exceptionally good i wouldnt mind getting that.

because my issue is shipping and not the cost of the bass. i live outside the states and shipping in amps are a real headache. planning to get a really great amp and leave it at that. no more rig GAS.

5. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I myself reconmend trying the gk combo's.Wether it be the 700rb II 210 or the 1001 rb II 112 neo.I have a 700rb 210 combo.Great lil combo...........does basicly anything you want it to do.....Here is the web sit if you want to have a look. www.gallien-krueger.com All the best of luck on your surch.Cheer's Mate;)

6. stars

stars

Feb 11, 2006
    thanks !

sure will look out for it. because basically my place , singapore has pretty limited amp range.

ampeg(very limited range), fender , fender japan, SWR , ibanez, ashdown, hiwatt.

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Ashdown and HIWATT would be my choices, I don't know about your budget though.