Recommendations for a fat sounding envelope filter with up and down modes?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HalfManHalfBass, Apr 16, 2017.

1. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Hi guys, I'm looking for a filter pedal and I'm wondering if I've overlooked anything notable.

I want one with both up and down modes, preferably analog to reduce power consumption and have some control over volume -whether that be overall volume or clean and dry levels.

I don't like the MXR one as it only has the 'up' mode and was too 'bwappy'!
    The classic FX25 DOD had too little control and was too 'peaky'.
    The Boss FT-2 was difficult to open the filter unless playing really hard.
    The EBS Bass IQ was quite good but not fantastic and the old large Electro Harmonic QTron Plus was very complicated to dual in and without overall volume compensation.

Wonderlove, Emma and EHX Enigma all look interesting but there's no way I can try without buying....

Any other suggestions?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    Driven Crane likes this.
  2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Wait for the new Mu-FX MicroTron, it should be the one you are seeking! Also check out the (discontinued) 3Leaf Groove Regulator and GR2.

3. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    The GR and GR2 are well deserved favorites. I'm on my 3rd GR2. But, I'm on the notification list for the MicroTron.

4. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Iron Ether Xerographic Deluxe can get a ton of different vibes going on.

HolmeBass likes this.
  5. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Did you consider the SolodGoldFX Funk Lite (or Funkzilla for a more elaborate one)?

Funk-lite

They seem to sound very good, probably the next pedal coming to my board.

6. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    EHX all the way, I own the Riddler which is the guitar version of the Enigma and it works great on guitar bass and keys. The attack/ decay controls are way better then up/down modes IMO as they allow much more fine tuning. Also the start/ stop let you really sculpt the envelope shape and frequency range. You can do some really weird stuff by inverting them and cranking the sensitivity, and having 3 filter modes is sweet. No volume control but the mix helps and you can adjust the input signal and sensitivity for fine tuning.

FilterFunk likes this.
  7. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    I did a thread not dissimilar to this recently:

Small(er) form envelope filter?

My vote among the many I've tried is the EHX.

Of others that are close, the maxon af9 sounds great but had a pretty large volume jump for me (tho others don't experience it, it seems rig dependent), the EBS I had a similar experience to yours it was good but not great, and the HAZ mutron iii+ was great but waaaaay too big.

I'm prolly gonna try to get my hands on a keeley neutrino at some point to try

8. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    It's really a shame more envelope filters don't come with a post effect boost/cut. There's really not that many that do, it makes your query a hard one.

I'd say the Maxon should also be on your list, it's fantastic sounding in both up and down mode and I've never played a fatter filter. If you're lucky and it doesn't increase the volume in your rig (for whatever reason it does that to some and not others) it should do the job fantastically well.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  9. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I'm a big fan of the Pigtronix Bass Envelope Phaser.

C/s,
    Rev J

The Deep End and Bassmike62 like this.
  10. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Aguilar Filter Twin was always my favorite after trying most of the others.

11. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    One of the effects that I really like on my Boss ME20B, is the envelope filer. Up, down and edge filters.

Set up well, it barks like a junkyard dog.

web824 likes this.
  12. web824

web824

Nov 1, 2016
    I bought one in 2006. I never leaned how to work it well....especially how to store my own FXs. help appreciated.

13. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    discumbobulator maybe?

14. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Saving patches is incredibly easy.

Once you have the sound you want, press the 'Write' button. The display will start flashing. Use the up and down keys to enter the bank you want (1-10). Then press the footswitch where you want to store that patch. The light on that footswitch will light up. Then press 'Write' again.

That's it.

If you ever want to change that setting, press 'Edit', make your changes, then save it, using the same procedure as above.

web824 likes this.
  15. Davidg

Davidg Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2009
    VFE Mini Mu

FilterFunk likes this.
  16. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Mr Black Fwonkbeta.. or my old standby the WMD SuperFatMan

17. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    This.
    And if not that, then the old school Bassballs, love that effect.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  18. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    Source Audio

19. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    ^This.

With most envelope filters, you'd better like the baked-in tone, voicing and response; otherwise, it's not going to work for you. With the Riddle/Enigma, you can fine tune the tone, voicing and response to your liking.

YMMV, of course.

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  20. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    I am consistently amazed by how versatile the Riddle is, and I haven't even messed with the built in distortion much. Still need to mod the internal trim pot to the surface.

I love how it sounds with fuzz and distortion, especially in the HP mode for some gnarly snarling mechanical alien noises drool it can go from very subtle to extreme filtering.

FilterFunk likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021