1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommendations for a fretless 6 around $800. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rtav, Apr 2, 2015.

1. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    TBers,

I'm looking at getting a fretless 6 in the next few weeks, and I'm looking to spend around $800.

I play prog and prog metal and use Yamaha RBXJM2 basses as we do a lot of Dream Theater covers. A side band I'm in does a lot of Porcupine Tree covers, so I could really use the fretless there. So my playing style is finger plucking, tapping, chording (can't slap to save my life though I'd love to).

I'm looking for something that has 6 strings, active electronics, a thin neck, tight string spacing (<17mm), insanely low action and of course MWAAAAAAHHHHHHH. I'd prefer unlined, but lined is fine.

One of the guitars I'm considering is a used ESP LTD B1006 that I can get for <$600. I can take it and have it defretted and still be within budget, so I'm leaning that way. The ESP has great action, and I love the neck and tone, but before I plunk down some bucks I'd love to hear from some of you as to what you might recommend me get - or stay away from.

Thanks for any input!

PEACE

2. I'm curious what you find. As you know, I'm building one exactly like this (my costs, however, have just eclipsed $2k...).

rtav likes this.
  3. rtav

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    ^^ eightyearsapril - I'll def let you know.

I absolutely love your build. The body style is VERY similar to many Yamaha RBX basses (my RBXJM2 included), and I love spalted maple.

it's one of the things that disappoints me a bit about the ESP B1006 - I wish it was spalted maple instead of flamed (as the 206SM and 416SM are). I could buy either a B206SM or a 416SM and have it defretted, but the 416SM is hard to find and doesn't have the quality of components the B1006 has, and the B206SM is everywhere (and VERY reasonably priced and a great feeling bass - I owned one for a few years), but I'd have to upgrade the electronics along the way (I think the stock electronics are OK, but could stand improvement) and I don't want to do that if I can help it.

Of course if I had any woodworking skill and knew I wouldn't completely ruin the guitar I'd jump ALL over the kit you are building.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Used Carvin?

5. rtav

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I'm looking at those on the bay and elsewhere (the price is right), but I don't know much about them. I'd love to play one to see how the neck feels. The neck of some basses (Warwicks and Bongo 6's) just doesn't fit my hand so well; the Warwick seems a bit round and the Bongo 6 too wide for waht I'm used to, so I'd have to play a Carvin to see how the neck compares. The specs look good, and most of the Carvin's I've seen are gorgeous, sleek instruments.

6. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    Carvins are pretty thin and fast necked- similar to Ibanez in my opinion. I would never dissuade someone from being a used Carvin- especially all the 6 string fretless that seem to be the first to go...

I got my Gecko fretless 6 for about a grand second-hand (has a flamed Koa top/Villex pups that drove the price up a bit)- if you don't mind 35" scale I'd be on the lookout for one! (especially wenge necks- great for fretless)

Your in a buyers market looking for an often discarded bass- you should do VERY well!

rtav likes this.
  7. rtav

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL

That's great to hear. I've thought that the ESP's and Ibbys have a similar, very fast neck, and I'm glad to hear the Carvin is similar. Now off to do some more in depth research on the Carvins... thanks!