1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommendations for a Fuzz pedal with a blend knob

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Gus Borden, Mar 30, 2009.

1. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    I've got a VB-jr, and use it to blend a few of my pedals. Nice thing about it is that you can add as many pedals into the loop as you like and switch em on or off depending on what you want to use, then just switch the VB-jr on to engage whatever is on in the loop. It's a great pedal, works on anything from 9-18vDC, and is built like a tank (I swear, I'm not on their payroll! :eek:).

I'd also suggest getting one with the phase inversion switch in case you have or plan to get vintage or vintage styled fuzz pedals that are phase inverted. (I'll let someone more learned explain that one! :p)

2. ccpbass

ccpbass

Aug 23, 2008
    Hair Noddles
    Gus- For the last year or so I have using a Chunk Systems Brown Dog. I have to say that I am very happy with it. It has a seperate clean and dirty(fuzz) level knobs allowing you to blend. I like it because it is made for the bass, its versatile(light fuzz/synthy) and it has a reasonable size footprint. On the down side its a little pricey.

3. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    + whatever it is now :D

4. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Switches?:confused:

5. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I just bought and built a blender from Wounded Paw (http://www.woundedpaw.com/effects). I built it into a very small enclosure and LOVE it w/ my modded GGG-tuned big muff (GREEN STACHE)!!!

Just another option so you don't have to ditch the Hybrid+ or get a large pedal...

6. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Oh yeah, there's also the MXR Bass Blowtorch I've got for sale/trade. It's an od/fuzz with a blend. :bag:

7. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I bought that pedal because of your great review of it. Its a great fuzz pedal. The only fuzz I ever bought.

8. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    I did the same and mine should be shipping tomorrow. I got the brushed silver which looks awesome!

I never thought I would ever buy a fuzz pedal. This one seems really cool and I'm happy to support a small builder.

9. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Wow another Fuzz Trooper. I guess this fuzz changes people.
    Strange. But oh yea that brush nickle does look cool. I got the Mustard. Love it alot. This fuzz sounds good with active and passive basses. I think this company has a winner and at a great price for the quality of sound. I look foward with other effects this company comes out with. I think they are in Brooklyn, got to check there place out. I agree its nice to support the little guy. They make it to sound good instead of making thousands a day with little quality as possible.
    If you asked me a month ago i was buying a fuzz I would think you were crazy. But this one is it for me.

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Ahhhh! I see.

The Barge blender that I had was the VFB-2. It did not have a phase inversion switch so I would not know if it would make a difference. But from what I have read, the switch maybe a good idea to have since it's only $15 more, and if you do end up needing it (maybe not with the messdrive, but with another pedal you decide to stick in the loop) it will probably be nice to have it. But I did not notice any problems when I used my messdrive with it.

11. Thanks - to be honest- I am not entirely sure what the inversion switch does - so I guess that's my first problem :)

12. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    The Tentacle Love Superfuzz has a clean blend; Prunes&custard does as well, though it's not your standard fuzz tone (sounds great though!)

13. Can anyone explain the "phase inversion switch" (barge concepts vb-jr) to me? I am a bit uninformed and lost on it - what exactly is the function?
    thanks!

14. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    When you blend two signals, you have to deal with constructive and destructive interference of the sound waves. If the signals are out of phase then it can sound weird so they included the switch for such cases.