1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommendations for a quality 6-string for around $400-$500?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElBajista, Apr 19, 2006.

1. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    *THIS IS NOT A WANT AD! Please refrain from sending me PMs regarding buying your bass. I'm not looking to buy until I do more research. Thanks.*

I tried searching for info on budget 6-strings, but it's rather hard when the search tool either won't accept the small entry or when 10,000 threads come up.

Basically, I'd like to know what is out there in the way of budget 6-string basses. Now that I have my Jamman, I'm itching for a more extended range.

My pricerange will most likely be around $400-$500 give or take, and I prefer to buy used in case I have to resell, and getting more bass for my buck is always preferable. :D

I haven't been able to try many 6 string basses, as there aren't any good stores in my area and the closest Guitar Denter is over an hour away. I know I'd prefer a 3band EQ when it comes to electronics, but when it comes to the neck size I have no idea. I have no preferences to any certain brand.

Any tips?

2. I'd suggest trying to find a used Carvin, or Ibanez, such as the SR506 line, which many people seem to like.

3. basstruck

basstruck Guest

Nov 25, 2005
    Sudbury
    Just keep looking man!
    Best of luck man!

4. Hey,
    I am in the market for a 5 string and am almost ready to go for an ESP. Here is a link for an ESP 6 string. Never played a 6 string, but I have not read anything bad about ESP.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ESPB206FM

I have purchased from Zzounds before and am very happy with their service. Free shipping on my 4 10 cab was very cool!
    Good luck!
    Sandman357

5. danb208

danb208

Nov 30, 2004
    Check out a used Carvin LB76. They can be found quite regularly on ebay. Much higher quality that the stuff you can buy new for that amount.
    DanB

6. Daleb

Daleb

Aug 23, 2005
    Peavey Grind NTB6--I've had mine for a couple of years and love it.....great looking/sounding bass for the money.....

only drawback is it's kind of heavy....

:bassist:

7. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Edited original post. This is NOT a Want Ad. I'm simply trying to find some ideas to focus my GAS on.

That said, The Carvin LB76 looks very interesting, and is currently at the top of the GAS list, particularly the Single Coil/Humbucker/Piezo setup.

Anyone have one of these? Anyone have any experience with the Piezo pickups on this model?

8. How a bout a used Cort Curbow?

9. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    I can second that. It's got tight string spacing, so if you don't like that, turn away. I didn't think I'd like it at first, but it's grown on me.

10. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I've had my SR-505 for 9 months now. It's currently my main bass. No regrets with the purchase whatsoever. It plays and sounds great! Well worth the $600 I paid for it new. ;)

Best of luck and have fun!! :bassist:

11. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    How would you describe the tone and versatility of the SR-505?