1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommendations for a small hi-fi bass combo for stage monitoring

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by TAZ, Dec 7, 2011.

1. I am finding the need to have my own bass combo to act as a personal stage monitor that I can rely on instead of the stage monitors. I need a clear, full and articulate sounding system for listening to my bass. The stage monitors are not adequate for my needs probably because of hearing loss and that a rumble or thud for a bass tone in the monitors doesn't cut it.

This is to satify situations where I go through the house system only or I'm in a stage environment where my backline equipment is more visual theater than practical - because any meanful output screws with the sound engineers balance.

Let's skip the in-ear solutions for this discusion for now. Primarily because some of the venues, while lots of house technology is available, the skill level and time to integrate someone with a request to connect up with an in-ear system is a trying experience.

Combo recommendations or combination of equipment is fine but want to keep it small but tone rules.

Thank all for your input and experience, it will be sincerely appreciated.

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You might want to kick back with a cold one and read the Carvin MBxx series thread(s) in the Amps area. For hi-fi I'm thinking maybe an MB12 with its three drivers, though I get pretty decent results from my MB15 with its "only along for the ride" tweeter. Keep in mind, though, these are extraordinarily lean boxes tone-wise, and you'll have to boost the crap out of the bass to get a good, balanced sound. But, set aside your fears, it can be gotten, and at monitor volumes there's no risk of overload. Your D.I. can be set "dry" so your tone settings won't affect the snake feed. I've been using my MB15 more and more and have come to appreciate it a lot more than I did at first. I can think of other manufacturers' minis that would probably do a fine job, too, but the MB15 is the only one I have any personal experience with.

3. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    Genz Benz shuttle 3.0/10t or 6.0/12t. with the kickstand feature you can aim it up towards your ears.

4. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    One of these with the preamp of your choice:

JBL :: Product

EAW: MW15

RCF - ART 322-Ai

....or any active lightweight boxes.
    Having your own own monitoring system isn't something that is "Bass amplifier" specific.
    There is a Zillion choice in the "Pro/PA" world that will fit the bill you're describing.

I personaly use RCF wedges.

5. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Markbass CMD 102P combo should be a worthy candidate. Have one and it excels at just such a task. Larger than some options but not a beast to move by any means.

6. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I recently bought a Traynor DynaBass 300T and I really like it. I rented one for a gig where my Ashdown 300 was too big for the stage area. I liked it so much I went out and bought one a few days later and put the Ashdown up for sale. It's very small, leans back, and has only a pair of long throw 8" speakers, but it has an amazingly big sound. For larger gigs I put it on an external single 15" cab and it's plenty loud.

It has better definition and punch than the Ashdown, but the same power (300W) and I can carry it with one hand.

7. Col E Loc

Col E Loc Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Brooklyn, NYC
    Have you tried the phil jones bass flightcase? 300 watts and ballsy with two drivers facing up at you.

I love the PJB stuff. there's not much out there more hi-fi for bass.

8. I am using a powered Yamaha MSR400 wedge with an ART Tube MP pre and find that it is doing a stellar job. With the fairly large tweeter it is very articulate but this can be dialed back with the eq on the back of the speaker.

What sort of monitors have you been given that haven't been doing the job?

9. These are terrific suggestions! Practical and Sensible.

To Rocksolid... I think the house monitors in most cases are capable to provide the bass and band mix but I suspect the sound engineers are not. Thus a high quality monitor run by me eliminates the dependencies.

10. I'm going to recommend the set-up I use in the same situation - Markbass F1 or F500 with Bergantino 1 x 12 cab.

11. Dan55

Dan55

Apr 26, 2006
    Atlanta
    I'd also consider the Mesa M3 Carbine combo.

Dan

12. HUnt49

HUnt49

Jan 14, 2008
    I picked up a used carvin bx500 and a used Acme B2. What was supposed to be a smaller monitor has become my 90% main rig. Lots of eq flexibility on the bx500 to get the full range on each stage. I send DI before so I'm not affecting the tone.

I know you're avoiding in-ear discussion, but if your main concern is integration - i have the in-ear control on my pedal board and run it myself. If I can I ask for an xlr with a monitor mix - otherwise I run one in-ear and one earplug so I can hear the wedge.

13. madmatt

madmatt

Apr 28, 2009
    I've always heard those Hartke Kickback 12's are pretty good. Not too expensive either.

14. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    +1 ... I'm crazy about my Shuttle 6.0-12T combo. The smaller 3.0-10T is a great amp/cab, too, but I needed something I could use for small gigs without FOH support.

15. jkdahlman

jkdahlman Ambitious But Rubbish

Jul 13, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Have a look at the QSC K12. I'm using one for everything these days, with a Radial Bassbone feeding it. Very clean and clear which is what I was after. Picked up a gator rolling bag for it so it's a stoopid easy load in. The bag holds the k12, cables and my mini pedal board (radial, vol pedal & tuner). Good luck, I'm interested to see what you decide on.

16. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I'm partial to my Shuttle 6.0 and NEOX 112T cab. Serves me very well for an on stage monitor.

17. randysmojo

randysmojo

Jan 14, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Nuther vote for the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0/112T combo. Enough for small venues and great for on stage monitoring. Also lighter than you would imagine!

18. I used my Yamaha MSR400 at a rehearsal last night with my Rolls PM351 monitor mixer. I put the Foldback mix in the line in, ran my Mic thru it to the desk, and my bass thru it to the desk. This way I have everything in my control - I could hear everything but had my vocals and bass prominent in MY mix. I use the Rolls for my IEMs primarily - but I have a smaller gig coming up that I will be mixing from stage so IEM isn't really practical. I wanted to try this set up to see if it would work for me.

It worked pretty well - I was using my pedal board also which has a compressor and all the tone shaping I need but if you don't use a pedal board you may need something else with the PM351.

Just thought I would share...

19. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Rolls pm351 plus k12 or livex