1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

recommendations for amp rig....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigtiny, Dec 17, 2018.

1. bigtiny

bigtiny

Jun 20, 2010
    Cambridge, MA
    Hi all,
    I'm researching amp rigs and wanted to solicit recommendations from this experienced group.
    I need something that sounds good, not too expensive, and importantly is VERY portable. I have back problems and simply cannot move heavy cabinets around anymore.
    I realize I may be searching for the impossible here, but I'm hoping it's only improbable.

Any suggestions?

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    There are tons (pun intended) of lightweight options out there today!

If you can help us with a couple more details we should be able to hook you up.

Budget?

Location (roughly)?

Tone requirements? (Do you like a cleaner, more modern tone or more warm and "vintage" sound?)

3. Fender Rumble V3 combos and/ or amps and cabs are cheap, sound good and are light weight.

GuitarJay likes this.
  4. joel406

joel406

Dec 27, 2013
    Florida
    Go shopping. See what you can find and try. Sound is as important as size and weight.

If it don’t sound good you won’t bond with it.

My amp isn’t the cheapest or lightest.

But it will blow an SVT away sound wise. And has wheels so it’s managable.

If it didn’t sound absolutely awesome I wouldn’t put up with it. My back hurts too. But it’s worth it.

5. bigtiny

bigtiny

Jun 20, 2010
    Cambridge, MA
    Hmmm.....budget...I'd like to keep it at $500 or less (I know this is probably unrealistic, but you get my drift)
    I'm in Massachusetts (rain, winters, obnoxious drivers, etc.)
    I'd like to have something with flexibility where tone is concerned, but if I have to lean one way, I'd probably say more warm or 'vintage'. I'm mainly a jazz player.

6. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    As @rodl2005 said, the Fender Rumble 200 combo (1x15) at $500 is probably your best bet if you want a brand new amp. For $600 you can get the 500 combo (2x10) which is louder, but if you’re mainly playing jazz, the 200 should be more than enough. The 200 and 500 combos are both about 35 lbs.

If you can find one used, a Markbass Mini CMD 121P combo (1x12) is very hard to beat. It blows the Rumble 200 that I had away in my opinion - in tone, weight, size, and volume. These combos are $950 new, but I got mine here on the classifieds for $500. Best part is it’s tiny and only 26 lbs., but very loud and sounds great!

GK MB210-II combos are well liked around here also (I’ve never had one tho). They run about $700 new, but can be had for $450 used I believe, and they seem to come up for sale pretty often. They weigh about 40 lbs.

Pound for pound, a used Markbass CMD 121P is the best as far as I’m concerned.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This.

Gallien Krueger MB200 Bass guitar amplifier

Plus one of these.... (ad says he will separate)

GK NEO 112 II bass cabs

The head goes into your gig bag pocket. Cab in one hand.