Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

recommendations for bass amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jphase88, Nov 10, 2004.

1. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    I am 16 and i play for my church's youth ministry which consists of about 200 people. For the past few years, i used the mixer for my bass but now, i think its time to get a amp. i need some suggestions or recommendations. I am willing to spend about 600 bucks for my amp. and please keep in mind that i need to carry this home and to church.(church is being built right now) so i need something that will be easy to transport and have a nice tone. the praise team consists of a accoustic guitar, elec. guitar, drum, 4 vocals and me. so. what do you guys recommend? please suggest some amps. and a place i can get it for a resonable price. thanks!

2. You oughta check out this. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149552
    This is an awesome combo amp and a heck of a price too.

If you don't like that check out the SWR Workingman's 12 or 15 combo amp, they're pretty good combo amps. I actually used the WM's 15 for quite a while when I first started playing in church.

Keep me informed of how things turn out. Always good to see another church bass player on here.

REPRESENT :cool:

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think he might need something bigger than a baby blue.

My advice?

Ashdown.

Great amps.

The MAG 15 or 210 combo would do you just fine.

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I second the Ashdown. I am amazed at these little buggers.

5. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Are you walking? Driving? what kinda weight are you afraid of? The Ashdown MAG 210 is the best bet, 300 watts and it's only 60 pounds.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've liked all the Ashdown I've tried. I might have to wing for one or two of their cabs when I hit Florida (selling current stock due to having to move to FL).

7. Ashdown MAgs or Yorkville xs400 210t, both under budget and pass the TB members seal of approval.

8. thewalrus81

thewalrus81 Guest

Sep 19, 2003
    Dallas TX
    id go with the gallien-krueger backline 115. some people dont like them but ive had one for about a year and a half now and i think theyre great. you can get one for about 450 dollars

9. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    Thanks guys for responding. Anyhow. i started reading reviews and i've only read positive things on the Ashdown MAG 210c. so i was wondering what a resonable price for the amp is. i did some searching and found the amp new for 450.00 and i was wondering if that was a good deal. heres the link.
    Ashdown MAG 210c for $450.00

10. adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    That link is old, the new price is 499. Zzounds is way better to deal with than most online retailers. You might want to check Bass Central and BassNW. They might be able to hook you up with a little better deal. Zzounds says they have them in stock, which is a good thing.

11. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    thanks for telling me. you saved me alot of trouble. :p

I emailed both Bass Central and BassNW. Looks like i just have to wait and see if they can hook me up with a better deal thanks firkinahsoul :)

12. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    yorkvilla xs400t is 800 dollars, and it might be alittle heavy for him at about 85 lbs.. If he can get it though, well worth it.

13. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Everybody seems to be going combos here, and those are all great recommendations, but I went head/cab and am VERY happy. I bought a used 200W Peavey head and an almost new Genz-Benz NeoX 112 for $450 total. 12 lb. head and 35 lb. cab, one over the shoulder and one hand for the cab. Sound is very deep and very refined. Just another option, and very flexible for upgrades/additions.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Used SWR Super Redhead. Usually they're closer to $800, but have a bake sale.

15. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
  16. jphase88

jphase88

Jul 17, 2004
    New Jersey
    would a ashdown MAG c210t fit in the trunk of a car. say a nissan altima? just wondering since that what ill be driving soon. its a hand me down but gets to point B from point A. so would it fit in the trunk of the car?

17. BigRed

BigRed

Apr 1, 2004
    Palestine, TX
    I've played pretty much the same gig with my Roland DB-500. Best sounding "small" amp I've ever heard. You might want to consider that also...and it will fit in a Miata, so in an Altima you'd have room to spare.

18. hetsscaryguy

hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    Ireland
    my opinion is to get a mag 300 with a fifteen speaker. then when you get a little more cah add either a 2x10 or 1x12. But up until you can afford that you have a little extra cash hanging around.

19. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    check this out.

Sam Ash

not a bad deal on the hartkes.

20. From my experience, you don't need massive volume for church.
    An Ampeg B100R will be great. Great tone, great looks, 500 dollars.

One day, i'll get one of those.

Other than that, i've been using an SWR WM12, which works well.