1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommendations for earbud headphones

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cioe, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Hey guys,

Here's the scoop: I work in the Law Library at the University of Chicago for three-four hours at a time, three days a week. I can listen to music, but the headphones must be discreet - so no big headphones. My iPod earbuds' left speaker has begun farting on the lower notes at mid-volume - and I suppose I can't complain, because they've been in my pocket every day for the past year and couple of months, including during my two weeks in China last June, and circling North America by train all last July.

My girlfriend has a pair of Koss earbuds that sound really good, but are a hassle to get in and out (even for her) and the cables look flimsy. Wouldn't work for me.

Does anyone ave any recommendations? They must be durable, sound as good or better than the iPod earbuds, be discreet (meaning they must be earbuds), and fairly easy to get in and out (if a professor needs to ask me something).

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Haven't we had this thread a couple of times before? Did you search? Make sure you search in Misc. and OT. I think I remember one in Misc. too.

bc

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I did a general search for "earbud headphones" and came up with one pertinant thread that praised to high heaven a $250 pair of earbuds. I am in college, and to me, spending $250 on headphones for purposes other than studio monitoring is a joke.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    In that case then you should specify a price range! I believe that both Shure and Etymotics both make models that are highly praised for around 100 bucks.

bc

5. shure makes E2c IEMs (in-ear monitors) that sell for $100 at best buy. they are generally well-liked.

i'm going to buy a pair of etymotic ER6 IEMs, however, because they are widely considered superior in just about every respect. i found them online for $76.32 + shipping, but i there is a local dealer that i will try to convince to match price. either way it's well under $100.

you may prefer the ER6i variation, which are lower impedance (easier for the ipod to drive) and have more bass in relation to the high end. visit the etyomotic research web site to compare the two. i strongly considered the ER6i before choosing the original ER6.

i also have a pair of sony EX-51 IEMs that sound decent. i think they lack a little midrange clarity, but they're only $40. they're a good compromise.

you may also like to visit ilounge for reviews of several different earbud/IEM headphones. they're not extremely critical, but you can get a feel for what might work for you after a few reviews.

robb.

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Basically, my price range is up to $50. If I can spend less, that's fine. I listen to music at work so I can pass the time while making money. It makes zero sense for me to listen to music to make money so I can buy nice headphones to listen to more at work.

7. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I bought these a few days ago at radioshack.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/+INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?CategoryName=pa_PADepartmentAccessories_Headphones_Fontopia%2e%2fEarbud&ProductSKU=MDREX71SL%2fWK&TabName=feature&var2=

I like them a lot. At first they were kind of hard to get into the ear right, and were also rather bass heavy and slightly muddy. Then I switched the silicone thing to the smaller size, and now they're just right. Low distortion and good sound. The only complaint is the length of the cable. Its too short. It comes with an extension thing, but when then its too long.

8. I would caution you to avoid the ER6i
    I used to have the ER6i. they sounded great except that sound travelled up the wire whenever it hit or rubbed against my jacket... very very annoying. They also only lasted 1 year, which, IMHO is not acceptable, considering the amount of money I paid for replacement filters!
    I have heard great things about the Ultimate ear sets as they now have a cheaper (100-150 ish price range) set for MP3 players.
    I lounge reccomend a good Sony set although the model number escapes me right now, but they are around 30-40 bucks.
    Anyway, good luck and let us know what you get and how you like em.

9. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    If you want to keep the cost WAY down, the Sennheiser MX-400 is a decent-to-good set for a stupid-cheap price - about $10 - $15.