1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommendations for getting a 5 string acoustic bass made?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BezzarBass, Nov 30, 2018.

1. BezzarBass

BezzarBass Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Checking with all the TB wisdom on who has had or has a recommendation for, a quality reliable 5 string acoustic bass to be made? I have a decent one but the neck is too narrow/small and I'd like the maker to match the neck size to what I'm currently playing - electric/wise. Appreciate the info in advance.

2. bearfoot

bearfoot SUSPENDED

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    If you want a really bassy resonant frequency, the luthier has to dance between thinning the top and keeping it structurally sound, vs. body depth.
    I have a Mark Egan ABG that has a 6" body depth and around 17" lower bout. Depth matters. Go deep. The larger Earthwood bass had an 8" depth.
    With the 6" body depth, the bass sounds "bassy" all the way up the neck, even with bronze strings. Even so, fundamentals drop off steeply below the low A, while still making acceptable tone (to me).

3. BezzarBass

BezzarBass Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Thx for info, does that size make it awkward/uncomfortable to play at all or do you just get used to it?