1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommendations for Head, playing an Ampeg 810e

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mhlynch, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Mhlynch

Mhlynch

Oct 30, 2013
    Hi - This is my first post on this forum, I play in a church, and just picked up an ampeg 810. I am looking for opinions on what head to go with. I'm looking at new or used options. I know that the sky is the limit when it comes to expense, but I'm trying to keep my budget at or below $600. I welcome any and all input. Thanks!!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    SVT 7 Pro or PF800 if you go new. Tube SVT or SVT 4 Pro if you go used, although they'll both probably be a bit more than $600. Usually they go in the $800-1000 range.

3. First of all , congrats on your 8 10. There are all kind of options for what you want but I'm just going to throw a few at you that I have had personal experience with.To my ears , the classic svt is killer but as jimmy said , it will probably run you around $900 used. I have run an 8 10 with an old Peavey mark 6 head with good results. It's not as fat sounding as the svt but still sounds darn good and they can be picked up for around $200. Ther are two types of the Mark 6 model , the standard one and an XP model. The XP sounds a little fatter but they are a bit harder to come by. I have also run an 8 10 with a Hartke 3500 ( the one with the tube , not the full solid state one. )Sounded quite awesome actually and they can be picked up used for around $200 to $300 used. There are also the choices Jimmy gave you and they will all sound great . And now for the really good news. Just about any head you get will sound better through an Ampeg 8 10 than just about any other cab. ( This is just my opinion and I am sure there are others in TB that would disagree with me and I have absolutely no problem with that.) Good luck and enjoy whatever you get.

4. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Plenty of good heads to match your cab. Ive run GK 800Rb, GK 1001RB and now a Hartke Kilo through mine.

5. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Oct 18, 2012
    Texas
  6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I can state from 1st hand experience that a G-K 700rb-II works really well with those cabs - and can be had for $300-$400 on the used market...

- georgestrings

8. flatfender

flatfender Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit Supporting Member

I've run a backline supplied 810e with a mark bass LMII several times with great results. Looks a little funny with the 810 but it sounds great and kicks a$$.

The backline company sends a hartke 3500 with the 810 but it doesn't sound very good IMHO so I use my little mark

9. Aguilar Tone Hammer 350. It is below your budget when buying brand new, you'll even have enough to buy a carry bag for it. It'll make that cab sing, and the head will go in its bag over you shoulder while you are spending all your energy on carrying that fridge. :D

10. +1 thunderous amp, and personally I feel that Ampeg and Aguilar are kissing cousins of a sort in regards to tone ;)

11. Somebody gave me one of those Hartke heads. You REALLY gotta work with the EQ. If it wasn't free I probably wouldn't use it!

My personal favorite amp with my Ampeg fridge is a Gallien Krueger 800RB. But this thread makes me wanna check out those Tone Hammer amps.

12. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    You can actually land the TH 500 new for 600 bucks if you shop around. Killer head, and sounds incredible with the Ampeg 810

13. I've used a GK, acoustic B200, PF-500, and of course an SVT, both classic and VR. The SVT works perfect for "my tone", the GK sounded HUGE through it, though I only got to use it with an active Stingray, the Acoustic (Guitar Center branded one) sounded surprisingly good. They're extremely cheap and I was able to dial in a real nice tone. And of course the PF head sounded great too. Plenty of tone options to play with.

14. McFarlin

McFarlin Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    For church? Consider something 2ohm capable so you can add a second 810.

15. Dave Curran

Dave Curran Lilduke

Jul 27, 2013
    NEPA
    lol +1

16. VerryBerry

VerryBerry Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Alberta, Canada
    Haha! Love it! :D

17. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    The cab should work with any head. It's pretty universal. You can even drive it with a relatively low powered head and it'll still sound 8x10.

18. Mhlynch

Mhlynch

Oct 30, 2013
    I ended up getting a great deal on a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2. It should be with me tomorrow, I'm hoping to rock the pews loose on Sunday morning!

19. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Oct 4, 2011
    Surrey, BC
    Traynor YBA 200. all tube, all good. Used should easily be under $600.

Or, buy 2 more cab's and get a Fender PS 400