Recommendations for new bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jsdratm, May 11, 2001.

1. jsdratm

May 9, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    I want to buy a new 5-string bass around $500, what do you guys reccommend. I am leaning towards an ESP F-205. What do you guys think of that bass and is it worth the $?
  2. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Welcome! I don't know much about ESP, but you could do a search and see if others have any positive feedback. You should be able to get a pretty decent bass in your price range. I think the Yamaha BB series has gotten some good marks in that range, and I've heard some good things about the Cort. I play Fender Jazz basses, and the MIM Jazz wouldn't initially cost you as much. There are also numerous threads here on how to upgrade them so that you end up with a pretty solid (and quiet) bass. I don't know if you are stuck on a new purchase, as you also could probably pick up a used bass with a little higher quality in that price range as well. Good luck!
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Last time I looked at Bass NW website, they had a used Reverend Rumblefish 5 for $499. I firmly believe that this is absolutely the best 5-string you'll find for that amount of money. The one that I had smoked most Fender 5-strings which cost many hundreds more, and most certainly any Ibanez, Washburn, Peavey, etc. in that price range.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I know nothing about the ESP either, but I know that the Peavey Axcelerator 5 can be had for under $500 and is a great bass for the price.

Will C.:cool:
  5. You may also want to look into a Cort Curbow 5. They have a composite body and a pretty huge sound for the money.

But REALLY, if you can save more money and get something better, you'll be so much happier with the instrument. A 5-string at this price is like buying a car for $300. It may get you from point A to point B, but are you going to enjoy it?

Try to save up another $300-500 and get a Carvin, or a used Pedulla. You WILL notice the difference!
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You can get an MTD Kingston for around $500. Better B string than the ESP, but not quite as versatile. Great bass though. Here's a pic.

Another killer bass almost in your price range is the Ibanez BTB 405. It's actually around $550. Quilt maple top(for looks, too thin to do much for tone), great B string, and good preamp with bass, treble and sweepable midrange. The only problem with this bass is that the 35" scale(Kingston 5 has this scale too), 3/4" string spacing and medium C profile make the neck feel huge if you have small hands. But it's a great bass for the price, and better than a lot of 5's costing twice as much.

Here's a pic of the BTB.

7. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    just like look on ebay and if you find a bass cheap ask the board if its good
  8. i happen to think that ibanez's edb's are good 5 stringers. sweet neck and a nice pop sound. plus they ALL look awesome
  9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    for bang for the buck, you can't beat a MIM jazz 5 - i've check some of them out at --cough-- Mars --cough-- and they were excellent, great low B, and around $329. i compared it to a 5 string esp, a 5 string cort curbow, and even a 5 string alembic they had there, and i thought it was way better.

i imagine with the MIM basses, there are good ones and there are bad ones, but if you do some looking, i'm sure you'll find a kick-a$$ one.
  10. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    WHAT?!?!??! JOHN TURNER PLAYED A 5 STRING!?!?!??! SHAME ON YOU JT!!! You were suppsed to play ONLY 7-8!!! remember that jump you made from 4 to 7!??! SHAME ON YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

heh :D

11. jsdratm

May 9, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    You guys rule! Thanks for your help everyone! I have only been playing for a year and a half so i just went with the ESP f-205. I ordered it from for $459.00 (after they beat the $480 price at for me) and they gave me free shipping on it too. It will be a big step up from my ibanez gsr200! Its supposed to arrive by the end of the month and i am all excited about it. I suppose i could have gotten a carvin, but then i couldnt have gotten my new amplifier(a carvin pb200-15 to replace my karaoke with a 5 inch speaker and two tweeters LOL). I figure the new amp was a higher priority than an extra $500 in the bass. I will wait until i am more skilled to get a new carvin bass or warwick.
  12. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    cool cool!! Congrats on your future bass (sounds like future wife) but anyways.. :) I've been only playing as long as you have (1 1/2 year) and I already purchased a Warwick SSI (Yes im crazy)

Hope you'll like your new bass