1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Recommendations for Precision pup replacements?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rabid_granny, May 9, 2006.

1. Well, my jazz pickups died so I decided to buy a set of NJ4's from Steamco Music in Winnipeg, Canada. On backorder though, so I'll need to wait. While I was placing the backorder, the sales rep mentioned that Nordstrand makes Precision pups. I tried searching for reviews but found nothing. I couldn't really find any shootouts on Precision-style pickups. Does anyone care to share their experiences with the current crop of aftermarket manufacturers (ex. Fralin, Rio Grande, Fender, Nordstrand)?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

probably not a good person to recommend P's but hard to beat the Reverend for the money. No shoot-out per se' but there's plenty of my experiences in Dimento's P experiment in FAQ. SD 1/4 pounder's a solid choice. Never had a Nord, Fralin, or Rio Grande P but probably decent.

3. Lindy Fralins are very high quality. I have them in my Mike Lull jazz bass and my Lakland Bob Glaub. These are about as close to classic Fender stuff as you can get.

The Lindy Fralin pickups are above and beyond most out there. I also think Aero makes good Fender replacement pickups for Jazz and Precision. I really like the Fralin humcanceling jazz pickups.

4. <3 the fralin.

stuck them in my SX P, sounded nice and low end.

Stuck back in the SX P, felt like wasting a great pup on a crap bass ( and the SX is sorta my beat around, dont care if it gets stolen axe )

5. I have a P p-up (Nordstrand NP4) from Steamco on it's way, when I get it I'll tell you what I think, and when you get yours you can tell me what you think of the jazz pickups ;)