Recommendations for restoring 77'" jazz bass neck

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by brandonwong, Dec 21, 2005.

1. brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    Hey all,

I have a 77" jazz bass(maple fingerboard-pearl blocks) and would like to restore the neck. I play relatively hard and there's few buzzes along some notes on the few frets. As most of you know, the entired maple including the frets were lacquered together. This makes the process of keeping the look of a vintage neck very difficult or almost impossible.

What else can be done to it or "who" can do the job of restoring without removing the lacquer(so to keep the vintage look)?
    Suggestions please...

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Hey Brandon, are you saying that you need a set-up, or are you saying that you need a fret-job? Yo might have to be a bit more specific about where you bass is buzzing, the condition of the neck, finish and frets.

If you indeed need more than a fret crowning (you'd be surprised at how frets that look pretty bad can be brought back), you're right to be concerned...with the maple board and binding, those 70's Jazzes can be a bear to re-fret. I'm thinking in such a case you may want to talk with a good 'name' luthier who's got experience in such areas like Mike Lull or Ken Smith.
  3. brandonwong

Dec 16, 2003
    I would need a fret or a refret job on it. It's on so far the best setup i can get outta this bass but still buzzes a little because of uneven/worn frets. What's an estimate price on such an operation by "big names" tho?
  4. jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    I have a 77" jazz bass(maple fingerboard-pearl blocks) and would like to restore the neck.

How do you reach the lower frets?
    I have enough trouble with a 34" scale instrument LOL
  5. OK, first off, the only lacquer that was used on Fender necks by that time was on the face of the headstock and I'm not entirely sure that they hadn't changed over to all poly by that time. I have a '75 rosewood Jazz in my shop now that I've reconditioned and it's got poly on the back and lacquer on the face. The reason was that the poly they used at the time would burn up their logo decals so they would limit the use of the lacquer to the face of the headstock and use the poly everywhere else. So what you would be working with is a poly finish and not a lacquer finish - two different beasts entirely.

It's a fairly common thing to tint clearcoats to match existing surfaces and that's what a pro would do when he refrets your instrument. Of course, he would attempt to get all of the frets out without damaging the neck finish at all but if that couldn't be done, or if the neck needed re-leveling, he would remove all of the old finish and restore it with a new, tinted clear.