Recommendations for Small Dual-Purpose Combo Amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by MountainMikeCS, Aug 4, 2022.

1. MountainMikeCS

MountainMikeCS

Apr 18, 2020
    Hi all,

I'm new to double bass and picked up a bice 'beater' to learn on. I've been placing electric for 30 years - I've been learning double bass over the past year and love it and have been playing nothing but double bass in jams for the past few months. Tons of fun.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a small combo amp that can give me a little extra double bass volume over the drums in a small jam environment while doubling for the same with electric bass. I like the sound of a small Ampeg or Fender combo for electric, but what would you folks recommend for double bass as well?

I don't play professionally any more and I don't plan to play anything larger than a small club in the next few years if I do play out.

My budget is under $500.

Thanks all!

Mike

2. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    It doesn't get much press here, but the Roland Micro Cube Bass RX puts out a decent amount of volume for a relatively small amp. It has 4 4" speakers that are optimized for 6AA battery power, in my experience lasting up to 20 hours. It weighs about 15 pounds and the price is below your stated limit. I've used it indoors for audiences up to 100 people, and outdoor for up to about 50 people, and have been told it could be easily heard at the last rows of people.

The trick with small amps is elevating them to shoulder/ear height so they don't pump sound into peoples legs. I've modified a speaker stand for my Bass RX and it has no problem being heard.

MountainMikeCS likes this.
  3. There are actually a ton of options these days, which was not the case 10-15 years ago. Your price point narrows it down a bit, but you still have a lot of good options.

The most obvious choice is the Fender Rumble series (since you know you like Fender) which also gets praise here for DB. The next option I would consider is the Phil Jones 7" combos. There is a 1x7 (the Micro 7 I think it's called) and a 2x7 (Session 77 iirc). Pretty much anything by Phil Jones should work well for doubling, but the 7" based designs are a lot more affordable than the rest of the lineup.

Other options would be GK and Acoustic Image, but I think you'll be looking mostly at used options there. Acoustic Image doesn't make any true combos anymore, and is pretty pricey new. GK also has a lot fewer options these days in the under $500 range.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  4. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Traynor SB12 or SB10.

5. oren

oren

Aug 7, 2007
    Salem, OR
    I’ve seen used Markbass CMD-121Ps in the $550 range here in the classifieds. I’ve been quite happy with mine for both upright and electric.

MountainMikeCS likes this.
  6. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Phis Jones Double Four. Under $500 and lots of volume. Great tone as well. Also really small (think shoebox) and light - under 9 pounds.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    lurk and MountainMikeCS like this.
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    ^^^ Seconded. I have several students who have used the Rumble 100 amps and they do a great job.

I have another student who uses one of these: Trace Elliot ELF 1x8" 200-watt Bass Combo Amp

Which are way smaller but which put out an astounding amount of sound. Also more expensive, unfortunately.

8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I second the Traynor SB series amps as a great option I use the SB 106 as my go to amp
    trio and quartet gigs. It’s just a little over the $500.00 limit.

Earl likes this.
  9. neddyrow

neddyrow @SimmerinStew - Instagram Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2011
    Cortland, NY
    I hear good things from the fender rumble series. If that’s your normal go-to. Some guys on here use one for DB. Probably with an hpf.