Recommendations for Something to get an Ibanez FL-305 Flanger Sound?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tlite, May 11, 2020.

1. tlite

tlite

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    What readily available pedals will get me in the wheelhouse of a classic Ibanez (or Maxon) FL-305 flanger?

ibanez-fl-305-flanger-xl.jpg

cache_14882563.jpg

Oh yeah, and I'm also looking for something that costs significantly less than the $300-$400 those FL-305's are fetching.

I know they used the SAD1024 chip, which is super rare now and costs $70-$100 itself. I'm not locked into a SAD1024 pedal (unless I should be?). I can live with "close" to the FL-305 sound.

Google reveals that perhaps the new version of the A/DA PBF might be a candidate?

Old Ross flangers (R-60) go for $150-$200 and they supposedly have the SAD1024 chip. That seems to be the cheapest pedal I can find with that chip. No idea how the tone and circuit itself compares to the FL-305.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm not opposed to building an FL-305 clone but even after substantial Googling I can't find the schematic anywhere for that circuit...

violao likes this.
  2. Have you compared it to the Ibanez AF2 "Paul Gilbert Flanger"? I recall in the early 80's trading my A/C powered Ross Flanger for an easier to power and smaller Ibanez FL9 and being quite happy with the sound, that is still one of my favorite flanger sounds. FWIW I recently tried one of those old Ross Flangers and was rather underwhelmed.

violao and tlite like this.
  3. tlite

tlite

Aug 18, 2016
    Florida
    I have not checked out the Paul Gilbert model. I'll do that. FL9 is on my list, too.

What I like about the FL-305 is that it's not a 'jet engine' flanger, but more of an organic, smooth, chewy, flange modulation.

Also, thanks for the first-hand feedback on the Ross.

4. violao

violao

May 16, 2011
    Seattle
    Actually, what I loved about my old FL-305 is that it got an amazing Jet Engine flanging sound. I used mine in the early '80s to get that amazing James Honeyman-Scott (The Pretenders guitarist) sound. I had my FL-301 set for more subtle Flanging on my board.

Full disclosure: Sorry, kids... I am predominantly a Guitar Player. But this forum is awesome. I now own (4) bass guitars because over time I became a bassist too.

tlite likes this.