1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommendations for switching from active to passive

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Geomancer, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Geomancer

Geomancer

Apr 1, 2016
    Hello,

I'd like to swap out the active emg (EZ?) pickups on my Spector Legend Custom.
    I'm likely going to have a shop do the work as I'm not experienced with the process.

Could you please recommend the best sounding P Bass style pickups that might work well for me here?

Is this even worth doing? Or would I be better off buying a passive bass?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    If you like your bass, you can just mod this one. It’s hard to give general advice though: What kind of a sound are you looking for? What’s wrong with EMGs?

Other than that, make sure the pickup cavities are standard P and J sizes. Not sure why they wouldn’t be, but measure carefully just in case...

3. Geomancer

Geomancer

Apr 1, 2016
    Tonally I'm looking for more of a warm thump, with less parameters to have to worry about (want to simplify). The EMG's run hot. I've been trying to cool them off with flats and EQing, but there's still just a lot of treble and general electronic noise. As my ear for tone as developed over time, I'm leaning towards trying something passive.
    I'm constantly trying to dial in a p bass-like tone, but it just can't sonically get there (I know, I probably should just buy a p bass).

So with this in mind, any recommendations for super solid p style pickups?

Thanks!

4. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    A classic and a common recommendation is Duncan SPB1. Low-cost, good sound. Also look into Wilde P46...

There are other great choices, like EMG GZR, Fralin, Nordstrand, but those will also be more expensive and won’t necessarily give you much more.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  5. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    It looks like a straightforward swap for a regular PJ pickup set, though I’d recommend a hum cancelling J pickup for the bridge. With that said, the physical pickup locations are different from a Fender PJ setup; they appear to be shifted towards the bridge in both positions. For that reason, it won’t sound exactly like a Precision, but swapping for vintage style pickups and passive Jazz Bass wiring will get you in the ballpark.

Geomancer likes this.