1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Recommendations for Teach yourself books

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by sk8, Jul 19, 2007.

1. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Hi

I've recently taking up bass after a ten year break and i'm after some teach yourself to play books, preferably with a CD. I'm purchasing a 5 string and having only played a 4 a beginners guide to 5 string playing type of book would be useful.

To sum up - any one recommend any teach yourself bass books please :hyper:

I'm not quite beginner as i've played before but learning my craft again is something i would like to attempt through a structed way.

Thanks in advance :bassist:

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I always recommend Ed Friedland's books.

3. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    mel bay series are good

4. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    Patrick Pfeiffer's Bass Guitar for Dummies is an excellent book! Don't let the title fool you! Great printed information and all of the exercises are on the included CD. Highly recommended!

Keep God First!:hyper:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste!:cool:

5. Torch7

Torch7

May 7, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    +1 Bass Guitar for Dummies

6. chasfr

chasfr

Jan 4, 2005
    + another 1 for Bass for Dummies, and also Friedland's books. I have his "Building Walking Bass Lines" and "Blues Bass" and they're both excellent resources. And as a late-life returner to music, I gotta say that all the digital technology available nowadays is hugely helpful too. A software drum machine is a must!

Have fun!
    Chas

7. avid

avid born lefty

Jun 22, 2005
    Ashland, Oregon USA
    +1 on Hal Leonard Electric Bass Method by Ed Friedland with the caveat it's written for four string. If you buy, get the three volume set complete with CDs; it's actually cheaper than individual books purchased separately. I am working through his Blues Bass book which is also excellent. Next up, Ed's Bass Grooves.

8. owensea777

owensea777 Banned

Jun 16, 2007
    yet another +1 for Bass Guitar for Dummies. I found it at my school book store while looking for random music books, a great find.

Edit: Wait, actually mine is called The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Bass Guitar...I don't think thats the same thing. A good book though

9. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
  10. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    thanks for the replies