Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Recommendations for the Best Recording Software $30 to $100?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by gfab333, Apr 28, 2002.

1. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Well, although I've be able to get ProTools Free to record my bass and drum machine onto my HD, I've just about had it with the frequent freeze ups and glitches that happen when I try to edit or add effects to my tracks (85% of the time).

Please give me your recommendations for the best, easy-to-use, decent quality, PC recording software which does not give problems and is priced between $30 - $100. All I want to use it for is recording practice bass and drum tracks. I see a lot of Cakewalk and Soundforge software on the shelves of our local CompUSA, anyone have any positive experience on these?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Good beginner tools:

N-Track www.fasoft.com

Steinberg Cubasis www.steinberg.net

Soundforge is a bit expensive for what it does, it's a stereo audio editor that's mainly used for sample editing and mastering. Steinberg's Wavelab is in the same price range and much more powerful. But it's not what you're looking for IME.

If you want to get your nose wet in midi composing and tracking, check out Fruityloops www.fruityloops.com

I have no first-hand experience with the Cakewalk stuff, but Sonar 2 is quite good from what I've heard.

But I like Cubase, Nuendo and Logic better - they're probably to pricey for a beginner though.

3. Ah yes, the "We're European therefore we use Cubase" versus "We're from the US - we favour Cakewalk" debate. Neither is a clear winner. Which you prefer depends a little on what your past experience with either software house has been. DXi effects are just as good as VST and with fXpansion's bit of software you can use both in Cakewalk. Which is nice.

I love the new version of Cakewalk - SONAR, and the latest Cakewalk Home Studio 2002 has essentially the same functionality. The benefits IMHO are non-destructive editting, fades, LOADS of audio tracks... blah blah blah. And most importantly it's cheap.

Word of warning though. To get the best out of Cakewalk HS you'll need WDM drivers for your soundcard (SB Live right?) and these don't exist for Win98SE and before. I think Win2000 and WinXP does have them though. WDM drivers give you lower latency (gap between what you play and what you hear when you monitor your input - though this is an option). MME drivers do perfectly well if you're just going to play in, and then add effects later, but YMMV. I believe the ASIO drivers that Cubasis use are a little better under Win98 and so this might be a minor advantage.

Anyway. Best of luck!
    Mike